Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 12:15 PM

Can dogs eat Quorn?

Dave and I have recently become vegetarians and although we have absolutely no intention of making Max a vegetarian I was wondering can Dogs eat things like quorn occasionally?

Max mainly eats Burns, both complete and moist, and he also has homecooked meals from time to time, mince, chicken, fish, eggs, pasta, rice, vegetables etc.

Previously if Dave and I were having pasta, for example, we would do some plain pasta and mince for Max and then add pasta sauce to ours. With our new vegetarian status (!) we might try 'vege-mince', the quorn version, so could we give that to Max with his pasta? As I say, this would only be occasionally as Max does love his meat. My primary concern is would it be safe for Max to eat although I am also wondering if he would find it quite bland? Any thoughts?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Eughhhhhh vege mince is pants!
I suspect he'd spit it back at you!!!!!!! I do!

There was someone mention on here not so long ago that they give quorn as a trat to their dogs....not sure who it was though. I've not tried it but would be interested to know as we always have it in...my vege status!!!!!
Welcome!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 12:26 PM
I occasionally have quorn mince, as like to see if i can fool my hubby every now and then, and i hvae given the leftovers to bruno who scoffed it quite happily. as to whether he even tasted it though I couldnt say - but no ill effects as far as i know so should be fine.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for your replies!

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Eughhhhhh vege mince is pants!
I suspect he'd spit it back at you!!!!!!! I do!
Oh no, not sure I want to try it now! It's all very new to me, I was a vegetarian for a few years a number of years ago but I don't think quorn and the like were really around much then?

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I hvae given the leftovers to bruno who scoffed it quite happily. as to whether he even tasted it though I couldnt say - but no ill effects as far as i know so should be fine.
I'll give it a go then if I brave it myself! I know what you mean about not tasting it, Max is the same with his cheese, one gulp and its gone!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-09-2008, 01:14 PM
I have had Quorn in the past and it tastes fine. The dogs have also had a little bit of it leftover and the dogs have been ok.
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Im a veggie and love the quorn mince my brother and sister are not veggies but prefer the quorn mince to normal mince, and my dog and cat love eating the quorn meats as a treat and they seem fine.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 01:21 PM
i only eat quorn and cant tell the difference, qourn mince is lovely!

woudlnt give it to dogs though, not sure why i wouldnt though!

tesco do nice veggie food, if you need any other help my family is vegan & veggie (im not but dont eat read meat & chicken now due to health reasons)

but i can pass on my sisters details & website might give you some good info and ideas to try?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 01:25 PM
I owuldn't have thought it would do him any harm. Quorn is made out of some kind of mushroom I think. If I was using up leftovers I would give it to my dogs, but not as part of their actual diet.

A long time ago we were at a friend's barbecue. He was doing a seperate veggie barbecue for my step-dad. There were a few homemade veggie sausages on the barbie. Scruffy, my friend's Irish Wolfhound, pinched a veggie sausage straight off the barbie, sniffed it, then ran to the end of the garden and buried it
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Thank you all for your replies, it sounds very promising! Misty Blue, if you could pm me your sister's website that would be very helpful, thank you.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 01:37 PM
have PM'd you
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >