Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Duracell
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-08-2008, 09:14 PM

Heavy breathing and panting with new pup

Ahoy,

(Before you jump on me, we took him to the vets straight away and weren't exactly happy with what they said and what they suggested, however we followed through with what they said)

We bought finn home just over a week ago (pics in this thread) and his personality is great and he doesn't seem to be having any problems fitting in and this doesn't actually seem to be effecting him, but it's worrying us a lot...

When he's resting and sometimes just in general, he's breathing really heavily and panting as if he's hot or dehydrated, he's drinking fine though and always has access to fresh water that we replace every couple of hours (during the day anyway... ).

What the vet said
He's having trouble settling into living inside (he was living outside in an insulated shed with his brothers at the breeder) We were given some antibiotics to give him and told to come back in a couple of weeks if he's still doing it. (His temperature was a 'bit over average')

Do you agree with this diagnoses?
It feels like a bit of an automated response to a high temperature, should we just leave him be and make sure he's got enough water and wait another week then go back?

Cheers
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-08-2008, 09:26 PM
its very humid these days. all my dogs have been panting heavily for the last fortnight or so. so have i.
is he long coated?

if you are still concerned, go back to your vet.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2008, 09:43 PM
It has been warm albeit wet or damp, and if pup has come from a shed/outside then probably he's finding it a little warm in the house. Do you kow/did you ask why he was prescribed antibiotics?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi James if your puppy is eating and drinking well/peeing and pooing ok (no diarrhoea or vomiting) has a clear chest/no discharges/is alert/playful and checked over by the vet I would think he is fine.

As with human babies puppies have immature bodily functions and do sometimes have a little difficulty adjusting to ambient temperature. They also have immature immune systems and can pick up infections quite easily until they have built up a little natural resistance.
Also if your new puppy has been used to living outdoors it could take him a little time to adjust to being inside where it might be warmer and noisier with a lot more going on.

Being slightly stressed can make a puppy pant as can a raised temperature . If your puppy had a slightly raised temperature it may have picked up a little infection and I would guess the vet gave an antibiotic as a precaution and because you were concerned .You don't say if there were any other symptoms like swollen lymph nodes .

You say you are not happy with your vets suggestions.Taking into account the few details you have given and and providing there were no other symptoms ,I can't see what more the vet could have done.
Had I been in a similar situation to you I would probably have asked to delay the antibiotics while I monitored the puppy and because my vet knows me well she would have said if this was a wise thing to do or not. I like puppies to build up a resistance to infection and prefer not to intervene with antibiotics unless it is absolutely necessary.

Good luck with your puppy, he looks lovely.
Duracell
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-09-2008, 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi James if your puppy is eating and drinking well/peeing and pooing ok (no diarrhoea or vomiting) has a clear chest/no discharges/is alert/playful and checked over by the vet I would think he is fine.

As with human babies puppies have immature bodily functions and do sometimes have a little difficulty adjusting to ambient temperature. They also have immature immune systems and can pick up infections quite easily until they have built up a little natural resistance.
Also if your new puppy has been used to living outdoors it could take him a little time to adjust to being inside where it might be warmer and noisier with a lot more going on.

Being slightly stressed can make a puppy pant as can a raised temperature . If your puppy had a slightly raised temperature it may have picked up a little infection and I would guess the vet gave an antibiotic as a precaution and because you were concerned .You don't say if there were any other symptoms like swollen lymph nodes .

You say you are not happy with your vets suggestions.Taking into account the few details you have given and and providing there were no other symptoms ,I can't see what more the vet could have done.
Had I been in a similar situation to you I would probably have asked to delay the antibiotics while I monitored the puppy and because my vet knows me well she would have said if this was a wise thing to do or not. I like puppies to build up a resistance to infection and prefer not to intervene with antibiotics unless it is absolutely necessary.

Good luck with your puppy, he looks lovely.
Hi, Meg

Thanks for that, I think we were just looking for a second opinion, our first two dogs were incredibly healthy when they were young and this just threw us a bit... you learn a little bit more every time I guess!

As far as we know there are no noticeable symptoms, the only thing we've noticed he seems very sorry for himself and agitated when he is laying there panting, but then again, I'd be feeling sorry for myself if I was as hot as he seems!

As for antibiotics, I think you're right about letting his body build up a strong immune system when they're young, but I'd hate myself forever if I said no to them and he got ill
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Mini's post is spot on, and I have nothing to add. Just wanted to wish you well, and I hope your gorgeous pup settles
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2008, 07:05 AM
If I have pups that have been "outdoor reared" then quite often we have a few weeks settling in even now when its warm one of my collies will curl round the loo at noght where its cool As long as your pup is eating, peeing and pooing properly I wouldnt be overly concerned I totally agree with everything "Minihaha" says.

Enjoy your pup he is lovely

Jeanette
Duracell
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
If I have pups that have been "outdoor reared" then quite often we have a few weeks settling in even now when its warm one of my collies will curl round the loo at noght where its cool As long as your pup is eating, peeing and pooing properly I wouldnt be overly concerned I totally agree with everything "Minihaha" says.

Enjoy your pup he is lovely

Jeanette
Awesome, thanks!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Duracell View Post
As far as we know there are no noticeable symptoms, the only thing we've noticed he seems very sorry for himself and agitated when he is laying there panting, but then again, I'd be feeling sorry for myself if I was as hot as he seems!
Hi James, perhaps some 'thing' or noise that you are unaware of is making him uneasy?

Panting and agitation can also be a sign of discomfort or pain but the absence of other symptoms doesn't really indicate a problem.
Often the best course of action in similar cases is do nothing but wait and watch and things will either settle or more symptoms will develop and I think that is what your vet has done here.

However if you feel uneasy don't hesitate to contact your vet again. Remember you are the paying customer and if you are unhappy you should say so. I have yet to met a vet who grumbled at a client for being over cautions.