View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2009, 11:39 AM
A big bonus of cani-cross for us is that it's a way to burn off some energy with the dogs on lead. Ours run off-lead every day and are amazingly fit - especially the older one. Beagles are supposed to have endurance but she's got raw speed too. The more exercise we give them the more they want. If we have them off-lead without a fast dog to play with or without us playing chasing games with them then they start to run further afield which isn't safe.

We figure that this is a way to burn off some energy while safely on lead. They'll still get there off-lead runs every day, but hopefully they won't be quite so bounding with energy. I take it the equipment will work just as well for hill walking etc? Last year we did a couple of munros with Beanie and despite being on lead she pulled us the whole way up. She loved it. With proper kit she'd really get a workout and we'd be up the mountains in record speed! Also, we've got a beach near us about 3 miles long and half a mile wide. It's fab, but I don't think we could risk letting them both off lead there this year as they'd just be dots on the horizon. It'll be a great place to run with them in harness though.

I'm assuming if an adult dog is desperate to do it then it's not too much for it? They're little titches compared to most dogs you see in the sport, but they are bred to be hardy and boy do they like to pull!

Is there a link to the site with your piccy? I'd love to see your boy all kitted out!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 01:51 PM
if you go on the canix website and go to the events page there should be a link on the 'fineshade woods' results to the pictures We came 5th in the F section not sure whether the link next to the persons name takes them directly to their pics on the site but might do? I cant even view the pics on the site to tell you which ref number it is! (most hosting sites are banned here)

We have footpacks of beagles for hunting round here and they go all day. Regular stops for water (collapsable nylon bowls if no natural water around) and pad checks im sure you will be ready for home before they are im sure. the fitter they get the more work they will want though! tis a vicous circle ;o) Im sure Akna will be best to advise appropriately for their age and type though as Im no expert!
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I've found the pictures page but there's nothing to say who's who. What were you wearing and what was your race number?

Our harnesses arrived today. The dogs are very happy with them - nice and comfy! No belts, leads etc yet, but we're going to climb Ben A'an tomorrow (or more accurately, let the dogs pull us up). That'll get them used to the idea of pulling when in harness as they can't resist pulling when we go up hills.
akna
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi you will find that your dogs will become fitter but will not crave for more and more exercise. This is because when you run the dogs on your lead or line you are keeping up a constant pace and speed and also because you are in effect training them so they have commands etc to obey they are mentally stimulated so much more than if you just unhooked them and let them run around at their own speed. was also gonna say try training early morning or later at night so temp is reduced or train around lakes, rivers etc so they can grab a drink and cool themselves feet body etc works really well with my guys also Mr doberman you would pleased to know someone races one in the sled rallies and by all accounts does damn well with it too!!!! I thought about getting a team of dalmations together....i fancy running some spotty dogs lol
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2009, 01:59 PM
The harnesses are a big success. We took the dogs up Ben Ledi yesterday and they pulled us all the way. It was lovely. Then they pulled us all the way back down again which wasn't so much fun

It's a two hour climb to the summit and two hours back down again. The little one bayed and aaaroooh'ed for the whole 4 hours - non-stop! One the way back down people told us they could hear him at the top of the mountain while they were still down in the car park!

So I think there's no doubt that they are going to enjoy this. And they certainly like pulling us - no problems teaching them to do that! Here's hoping the rest of the kit arrives tomorrow!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 02:03 PM
How many dogs do you run with? It sounds like fun.
akna
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2009, 06:25 PM
i have ran with 1 and 2 dogs. when i race on a rig i run 1, 2, 3 and 4 dogs lol bit scary sometimes but its great fun and very satisfying when you see your dogs work and truly enjoying it! Some people just enjoy a little jog, lets face it gym's charge huge amounts to go in and run on a machine why not make use of your local park, forest or other beautiful parts of our countryside ans walk and train the dog at the same time!!!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Cant remember number now, brain like a sieve! will try and find it or get my friend to look.

Where we are we are never far from water (River Welland on our door step) so lots of drinking opportunities and regular troughs!

Our snuggle pets harness arrived SO much better than the other one we were using. the way it crosses behind the neck and the way the ring is set on means you get a slight uplift on the girth strap which solved my problem of it riding up at the front with my boy.

Just looked at the pictures from Cheltenham. OH MY GOD thats an uphill finish!
akna
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Er yes the up hill at the end is trying to say the least lol make sure you save yourself for the end....you will also find part of the course very hard because of the consistancy of the trails...its almost like a bouncy rubbery substance so you do not actually go quite as fast along there and it really takes it out of you lol i would take 2 dogs lol
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2009, 06:23 PM
The rest of our kit arrived and we went out for a practice. We put both dogs on one line so that one of us could get some video clips.

We had difficulty at first as they wouldn't run while one of us was standing with the camera. But gradually they got the hang of it and by the end of the run they were really enjoying it and not caring about leaving one of us behind.

I'll post up some clips later if they are any good.

It feels so easy to run when they're pulling you doesn't it?!?!?!
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >