View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Not meaning to sound rude but I was always informed this section was for working folk; and that people who disliked fieldsports and hunting should steer clear as it isn't a debate area, this is for those who do use dogs in such ways to discuss and the such.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 11:12 PM
It is Luke but part of that surely should also mean educating on the pitfalls as well.
Another point I meant to make earlier was that the OP does`nt know the parentage of the pup so can`t know what other traits may come out and possibly be highly risky if encouraged to chase and kill.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 11:13 PM
i think maybe as it is a bit of a grey area, some people may have thought it was illegal. In the posting guidelines it states that only working activities that are legal can be discussed so maybe people wanted clarification of this?
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
i think maybe as it is a bit of a grey area, some people may have thought it was illegal. In the posting guidelines it states that only working activities that are legal can be discussed so maybe people wanted clarification of this?
Mhm possibly, as far as I know the act of lamping is still legal. It all comes down to your quarry.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-03-2008, 11:39 PM
In my experience lurchers will be used with the lamp to catch rabbits & the 'noise' of the rabbit then be 'used' to attract foxes to the lamp / rifle.

As for whether your lurcher is too young for that degree of exercise - lurchers will all differ depending on their blood lines so it's hard to say.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Mhm possibly, as far as I know the act of lamping is still legal. It all comes down to your quarry.
indeed.. rats and rabbits are 'fair game'.. although the Hunting with Dogs Act states that: The Hunting Act 2004 bans the hunting with dogs of all wild mammals .. totally unambiguous - who writes these things?!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 11:59 PM
its defo against the law,, I shoot but never use dogs x
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
its defo against the law,, I shoot but never use dogs x
Unfortunately not down here! I was recently at an agility show on a farm, where they had a notice stating that it was illegal to for owners to let there dogs chase anything but rabbits and rats whilst on their property

In my opinion the hunting ban is a joke, it is so poorly written, that most will find loopholes round it
Eceni
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-03-2008, 02:56 PM
To answer the OP: people do start as young as 5 months, but your lurcher's bones are still growing and her joints/ligaments very pliable. Any stress at this age can cause permanent damage. So if it were my dog, I'd wait until closer to a year... tho' the dog herself may be desperate to go before then. If in doubt, at least wait until 8 months when most of the major growth plates have closed.

E
Lurcherlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2008, 12:39 PM
For those of you against *killing* small fluffy bunnies is wrong, it is not, and it certainly isn't ilegal. Lamping is the most popular sport with lurchers. Totally legal to catch rabbits or rats with the land owners permission. Lamping dogs when properly trained will walk alongside you until you shine the lamp and the quarry is visible. Before you go lamping you check the area out in daylight so you know what dangerous to avoid. Working lurchers will often get injured but rarely maor, it's part of their working life. It's what they were bred for and they enjoy it.

5 months is far too young to start even if only small outings. Let your pup be a pup until at least 9 months old. Concentrate on her training. Start taking her out on very small outings to get her used to it and if shes interested give her 1 or 2 runs only and make sure they are fairly easy and has a fair chance of catching. i.e not too far away to run at.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >