View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
casa_tyr
New Member!
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:41 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I have some questions/concerns.

I live in very rural Spain, where there are loads of bad things that can affect animals!

Our vet said our 2 boxers should use/take:

Scalibor collars (sandfly/leishmaniasis)
Frontline (fleas/ticks)
Advocate or Cardotek (heartworm)
Drontal plus (intestinal worms)

However, one dog cannot tolerate Drontal at all, but can take Milbemax, so I am thinking of switching them both to:

Scalibor collars (sandfly/leishmaniasis)
Frontline (fleas/ticks)
Milbemax (heartworm and intestinal worms)

This is all quite confusing ! I want to make sure our dogs are protected, does the new regime seem ok?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:52 AM
that seems fine...but how much of a health risk are fleas? do u have cats?
if it was me id probably forgo the frontline.....
casa_tyr
New Member!
Female 

08-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Ticks here carry babesiosis - one of our older dogs died from this. Fleas not so sure.

We don't have cats, though I'd like to - having 2 dogs with the medicines and injections they require is expensive enough!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by casa_tyr View Post
Ticks here carry babesiosis - one of our older dogs died from this. Fleas not so sure.

We don't have cats, though I'd like to - having 2 dogs with the medicines and injections they require is expensive enough!
i know i feel for u

doesnt the scalibur cover for ticks?..... if u have no cats fleas arnt a big problem and they are not life threatening
casa_tyr
New Member!
Female 

08-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Good idea, and I like the idea of dosing our animals with less. I worry about doing that, though.

We live in the countryside with long grass, a forest, wild boar, foxes and other wildlife not too far away. Plus our neighbor has chickens so fleas might be a problem.

DDoglover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Always used Drontal and no problems, so have never changed.
casa_tyr
New Member!
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by DDoglover View Post
Always used Drontal and no problems, so have never changed.
I know, I always had, too. Our 5 yr old boxer is fine with it, but the 4 yr old vomits all day about 60% of the times he's had it - so a waste of money, and makes him miserable!
Hari Wallace
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2014, 01:16 PM
We have a 20KG cross between standard poodle and Italian water dog. We rescued Mugsy 7 years ago. Up until a year ago, he was able to handle whatever dewormer our vet gave us but last year with Drontal he became very ill with vomiting and diarrhea. He is dewormed every 3 months but with different medications. He can handle the injected one, but we gave him Profender a few months ago which caused serious vomiting. The vet now gave me Milbemax which I gave him this morning at 10 am. It is now 2pm, and he is OK. My question is do I withhold food and water and if so for how long. The vet is a bit iffy on this issue.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Never withhold water from a dog imo.

I've never, ever heard of this before Where on earth have you got this information from that you have to withhold food and water after worming your dog?

I'm assuming your vet told you to do this because of previous reactions? In which case, I would have thought 4 hours would be more than long enough. Good luck, please let your dog have a drink, not too much and not too quickly, and if all seems fine feed him something light, don't overdo it by giving him a normal meal until this evening, but if he holds down water, I'm sure everything will be fine and he can tolerate some food.
Hari Wallace
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2014, 03:42 PM
... where on earth did I get the info .... from our vet, of course. I only withheld water for a few hours because of past experience with worming Mugsy.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >