Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 10:58 AM
I prefer Drontal my girls have been happy with it
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I like to occasionally change the brand of wormer that I give my two. I think worms can build up resistance if only one brand is always used (don't have any evidence to back that up though). Different brands can over differnt types of worm as well.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 07:12 PM
I use Panacur granules as Misty is allergic to Drontal but I believe that generally speaking Drontal is the best brand of wormer.

My vet agrees Drontal is the best but unless specifically asked for they always give out Milbemax as standard as its cheaper.

I believe there have been one or two cases of Northern Inuit's dying after being treated with Milbemax so for this reason I steer well clear.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Asti used to be on Drontal but she was always sick about two hours after she was given it so the Vet changed her onto Panacur and she has been fine on that. The vet said that the only thing is that Panacur doesn't kill tapeworm whereas Drontal does.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 10:18 PM
I always use Drontal plus from the vet pharmicies, unless at the time the dogs are covered with the Advocate spot on.
I had to give 1 of mine mibblemax once at a higher dose than recommended for mites, it was given two days together but the vet warned for possible seizures and not to give second dose if there was any adverse reactions. It is one medication I wouldnt like to use regular, as from what the vet said some GSDs do have adverse reactions to this.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
I believe there have been one or two cases of Northern Inuit's dying after being treated with Milbemax so for this reason I steer well clear.
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
I had to give 1 of mine mibblemax once at a higher dose than recommended for mites, it was given two days together but the vet warned for possible seizures and not to give second dose if there was any adverse reactions. It is one medication I wouldnt like to use regular, as from what the vet said some GSDs do have adverse reactions to this.

Obvisley where the NIs get the bad reaction from (their GSD side)
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Have to admit i have reservations about using Milbemax and I certainly would not give it to my collies.

Jeanette
Amber And Rosie
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Ok the reason I have ended up on this thread is because I am trying to find out what wormer will kill lungworm, I have become more aware as the weeks go on that this is becoming more common in England. I currently use Drontal plus flavour but this doesn't deal with the lungworm but I do know Milbemax does kill this. Just wondered if anyone else has come across this or am I just being over cautious.

http://www.lungworm.co.uk/scripts/pages/en/home.php
kathryn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi yes Milbemax is licenced for lungworm in dogs but I think the dosage is different to usual routine worming, I don't use Milbemax but have been using Advocate, a spot on prep that the vet says for 'worried about lungworm owners' is to put on 1st application repeat 1 month later then use every 4mths you will have to use drontal as well as Advocate although a wormer doesn't do all worms (neither does milbemax) Any dog that eats freshly slimed grass is at risk. Advocate appears very safe I have used it on my collies & my friend has used in on her chihuahuas. Lungworm is devasting so I have no hesitation in using Advocate & it is guaranteed to eliminate any lungworm by the 2nd dose.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Hi yes Milbemax is licenced for lungworm in dogs but I think the dosage is different to usual routine worming, I don't use Milbemax but have been using Advocate, a spot on prep that the vet says for 'worried about lungworm owners' is to put on 1st application repeat 1 month later then use every 4mths you will have to use drontal as well as Advocate although a wormer doesn't do all worms (neither does milbemax) Any dog that eats freshly slimed grass is at risk. Advocate appears very safe I have used it on my collies & my friend has used in on her chihuahuas. Lungworm is devasting so I have no hesitation in using Advocate & it is guaranteed to eliminate any lungworm by the 2nd dose.
I have used Advocate on my GSDs for several years without any problems, my vet doesnt stock it he dispenses Stronghold, so I import my Advocate from Australia.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >