View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 01:41 PM

What book are you reading at the moment?

I thought if we all added to this thread and gave a brief description of plot, we might all get some new titles to have ago at.

I`ll start.....

The Saga Of The Renunciates.
(The shattered Chain,Thendara House and City of Sorcery)

I`m reading a science fiction fantasy trilogy by Marion Zimmer Bradley.It is part of the Darkover series.

It follows the lives of two women . They live on a planet which has been partly inhabited by another race. They are both human in form and there is a possibility that they come from common ancestry. One is of the newer group but was born on the planet and raised as a "native". This character is sent on an intelligence mission disguised as a local from a "Free Amazon" group of women. She meets a real group of these women and is forced to take oath.

Eventually the two women change roles ( not wanting to give any more away). This is a great book about women`s roles in two very different civilisations. It has many themes such as emancipation and attitudes about women.

It all hinges around two very likeable women and has all the normal mixture of love, romance and adventure.

It can be read as a stand alone trilogy without having read any of the other darkover novels.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 01:43 PM
im reading
Dean Koontz - Shattered only just started it this morning so not too sure of the plot yet but all his books are excellent thriller types and one day i will make my waythrough his entire body of work...
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
im reading
Dean Koontz - Shattered only just started it this morning so not too sure of the plot yet but all his books are excellent thriller types and one day i will make my waythrough his entire body of work...
I've just finished Dean Koontz newest book - The Darkest Evening of the Year -(Alexandra, I agree with you, all of is books are good, I've read all of them ) which is about a very special Golden Retriever. He wrote the book for his wife after she lost her GR. Won't spoil the plot but worth reading.

I have just started The Ratcatcher by James McGee. Never read anything by him before but this book was out of the bargain bin at ASDA for £1 so a bargain. I haven't got passed the first few pages yet so will withold judgement til I'm further in
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 02:06 PM
The House At Riverton by Kate Morton. One of Richard and Judy`s summer reads.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy. It's an intertwined set of "short stories" all linked. Thoroughly enjoying it - I just love her books
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I've been waiting for this to come out in paperback since last year and it should be here from play.com tomorrow.
Can't wait.

The Mascot: The Extraordinary Story of a Jewish Boy and an SS Extermination Squad by Mark Kurzem

Part thriller, part psychological drama, part moral puzzle, "The Mascot" tells the remarkable true story of Mark Kurzem's father, Alex. At five years old, in 1941, Alex escaped a German execution squad in Latvia, ran into some nearby woods and, the next morning, watched his Jewish mother and siblings being shot. He survived alone amongst the trees for nearly nine months before falling into the hands of an SS unit, the soldiers of which treated him kindly and adopted him as their mascot. With his custom-made SS uniform, peaked cap and full belly, Alex went with them everywhere as they shot and raped Jews wherever they could find them. He was even used in Nazi propaganda films... Ultimately, after the War, he made a new life in Australia, and kept silent about his childhood secrets, not even telling his wife and sons. Was he a collaborator, or just a little boy? Nearly 60 years later, he flew across the world to visit his academic son Mark at Oxford University and, from then on, tiny details, long buried in his memory, began to surface. Mark was astonished, and began to help him rediscover and unravel his past.This included a return to his original village in Latvia to search for his mother's grave, and being tailed by Mossad agents and members of the Simon Weisenthal Centre. Eventually, Mark made a film called "The Mascot" which won Best Documentary at the Sydney Film Festival and has also written this gripping account of what he and his father have been through in order to tell the truth at last.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm reading Richard Hammond's Autobiography. It's partially from his point of view and partially from his wife's point of view after the crash. Very easy reading and amazing what he and his family have come through. Highly recommended

Huge Maeve Binchy fan here too Vicki! Have read everything she has written but think my all time favourite is Tara Road.

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy. It's an intertwined set of "short stories" all linked. Thoroughly enjoying it - I just love her books
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Chellie View Post
I've just finished Dean Koontz newest book - The Darkest Evening of the Year -(Alexandra, I agree with you, all of is books are good, I've read all of them ) which is about a very special Golden Retriever. He wrote the book for his wife after she lost her GR. Won't spoil the plot but worth reading.

I have just started The Ratcatcher by James McGee. Never read anything by him before but this book was out of the bargain bin at ASDA for £1 so a bargain. I haven't got passed the first few pages yet so will withold judgement til I'm further in

I'm glad this thread was started. I love reading, and I'm always looking for new authors. My last 2 books were Karin Slaughter's Indelible, that I enjoyed thoroughly, and Dean Koontz's Watchers. Watchers was a great book to read. I like all of his books, and this one was especially good as it was about a Retriever who had been an experimental animal from a government lab in America. It had the power to think like a human being but could also find ways to tell people what it was thinking. If you haven't read it already I sure you will enjoy it.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 03:31 PM
I've just finished The Road to Nab End by William Woodruff. It's about a boy growing up in Blackburn, Lancashire. It was very good. I have just started The Radiant Way by Margaret Drabble which is so far a party on New Years Eve 1979 but have been reading for 2 nights now and nothing has happened yet so....if it doesn't pick up a bit I might not bother with it.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Im reading The Girls by Lori Lansens from Richard and Judy's book club last year. It's about siamese twins joined at the head, its about thier life in a small town from each ones point of view. Good so far haven't read much of it.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »