Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
So you went to the vet for jabs, and kept on the same food, then the allergy went away. What does the vet say is the reason for it clearing up?

Our vet (I started to go with my client) said that the dog would have to be on the injections for the rest of her life. She was 8 when she started getting the bald patches and scratching like hell. It is unusual for a dog of this age to suddenly develop an allergy, but that is another story for another thread.
Funnily enough it was one of the options the vet gave before he started treatment.
1, was it could clear up quite quickly a few weeks after the course started.

2, was he maybe on it for the rest of his life, he was a month short of his 2nd birthday when it happend(this is what we thought may happen)so it was a scary thought he maybe on it for possibley the next 10yrs

3, was it may take a few years and then as happen may just go, he based this on similar cases and what had happend with them. he said that all dogs are different and will always react in differnent ways.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Just been looking at your website (I thought perhaps you were working for Mars or something!)

I see that your first dog had a tumour at 2.5 years old.
Your second ''He is 8 years old now and Slowing down''
And your third has the dust mite allergy.

Not a good run of luck for you, I am truly sorry to hear about that.
I don't know if it will go in one ear and out the other, but the dog with the dust mite allergy is a black lab 13 now, and has more energy on walks than she did before. It's not just her either. As you are probably aware golden retrievers are not the healthiest of dogs, and are 'old' at 8 years old according to most vets. I know 3 that have been raised on natural food, 15, 14 and 14 (live together) since pups, and the vets don't call these dogs old. They still hunt rabbits and pheasants in the hills where they live. Again, I have numerous examples of dogs living longer when not fed on commerical food, less vet visits (the two boys from the goldies I mentioned went to the vet for blood tests for the first time in their lives at 10 years old - this was for titre testing as they have never been vaccinated either, another story though).
I am not trying to get you to do anything you don't want to do, but it doesn't hurt to look into these things... even if you don't absorb what you read.
Unless you are working for Mars
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2008, 12:00 PM
No, I am not keen on the big companys.

Same with Star, I have had 3 people in the last week say he is a different dog, he is back acting like he was before his allergys.

Storm was 5 and half when he developed his tumour.

Jake, now 9 has slowed down, but as I said he still is fitter and quicker and has more stamina that dogs half his age. It is his slower is still quicker than most.

I think thats why I feel strong on this subject as I have looked into things in the past, and all what happend was one got a tumour, one a dust allergy, while I agree they probably would have happend whatever the food, I would much rarther find a food they do well on and stick with it and spend time with them having fun as you never know whats round the corner. As an hour reading up on the new super food would be much better playing games with them imo. I will not criticise anyone who wants to do this, its just not for me.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Just to add, would I eat it. If I ate something and I felt good on it, had more energy and was never ill, yes I would eat it day in day out.

Also I forgot he does have a chicken curry every few weeks as a treat.
or when England play

i feed a £40 a BAG WELL KNOWN ... (disliked) food and guess wot ?

i don;t care wot anyone says I am happy and dog thrive on it
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 12:08 PM
ok, I'm putting my hands up, I did my best.
Just out of interest, what do you do for a living?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
ok, I'm putting my hands up, I did my best.
Just out of interest, what do you do for a living?
me ????????? or Storm ?????
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Me or inca? Though I am wondering what its got to do with the topic be disscused
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 12:28 PM
It has nothing to do with the topic, hence the 'just out of interest'.
Storm, sorry Inca you must have posted at the same time I missed your comment - hello!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2008, 12:31 PM
As its not on-topic its best I dont say, but rest assured it is not for any of the major dog/pet food companys
Lara'sYorkies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2008, 01:23 PM
I feed raw, however I personally believe that a high quality wet food is better to feed dogs than kibble because it is far less processed and contains natural moisture.
Page 6 of 19 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »