View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Glad there has been an improvement. Hope she continues to do well. How often was her thyroid level checked? I have no experience in dogs but in people it is often unstable & my sister's even swings from underactive to overactive so her doctor checks hers every three months. Mum's was checked every 6 months & I had to alter her dosage to suit.
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Update here. When she went into the vets on the initial visit, they also pulled another thyroid panel on her. Sometime in the last two months since the previous test, her thyroid crashed! Went from a 6 to a 2 . Without the thyroid to stabilize the immune system, the degenerative disease could take hold.
We put her on double the thyroid medication ( thyloxine) plus the other things we are doing- still on rimadryl for now and roboxin, shark cartiledge, vit C and E, she is showing real improvement. I even get occasional " prancing paws..".
She has to have her thyroid retested because if its not functioning right, it cant deal with this degenerative, progessive and sometimes aggressive disease.
The breed club is in a tail spin. This is almost flat out unheard of in the breed, so all of this has been a learning process for all of us.
Please continue to keep my baby in prayers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Z373A8-7U (need the sound on ..) ( the picture with all 4 is with my dear friend Cate. ( ceph)
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Glad there has been an improvement. Hope she continues to do well. How often was her thyroid level checked? I have no experience in dogs but in people it is often unstable & my sister's even swings from underactive to overactive so her doctor checks hers every three months. Mum's was checked every 6 months & I had to alter her dosage to suit.
Ironically, we check hers every 4 months. She had just had a test two months before and it was at the same level. We are not sure which came first, but its obvious it was a contributing factor in some way. Its hard since this is type 2 and not brought on by a trama...
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Extremely sorry to hear about this, I don't have any advice sadly as never had experience of it. I just wanted to say how sorry I am and that you are both in my prayers. xxx
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2007, 12:05 PM
So glad to hear that there has been an improvement. Thinking of you all.
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Relapse- back to square one... Please place her in prayers. I know each relapse will take weeks to heal, but this is hard to watch.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
Relapse- back to square one... Please place her in prayers. I know each relapse will take weeks to heal, but this is hard to watch.
Hi Borzoismom, that is bad news sending warm thoughts to you both xx
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

01-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Hi Michelle so sorry to hear this news about Femka. Thinking of you both and sending prayers.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 10:33 AM
oh michelle im praying for you and femka,
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2007, 12:26 PM
She had a really rough night again. This morning more back to stoic, but obviously back in pain. I got hold of the vet. He is hoping its just a temporary set back, and I am to call him at noon with the report on any sign of improvement. How she handles this disease is based on frequency of the "flareups" and " pain management"..
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >