Our sister sites
Our sister sites
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2007, 08:07 PM

Femka diagnosed CIDD

We are losing her..
Femka was diagnosed with CIDD Type 2. That is Cervical Intervertebral Disk Disease Type 2. (http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/ivd.asp).- meaning its in her neck. This is degenerative and severity and progression on the disease is determined by the frequency of the ' flare ups" and the severity. Type 2 is degenerative and not caused by trama etc. Please keep in mind- it was explained to me, but with research I will hopefully know more about it. Just like any disk disease ( spinal or neck etc) a flare up can occur over something 'stupid" ( like in people picking up a piece of paper of the floor- where as play basketball and do fine.)
She will remain on rimadyl and Roboxin for now. The reason is that is already on it, and the metacam has a different structure. After the flare up ( 2-3 weeks) is over, she will go on the metacam. ( and of course the other factor in that there is a little improvement since two night ago.)
Here is where I need help. One of the options he suggested as well was introducing 'bovine" cartiledge ( or shark) and I need to know a good one and clean. My concern on using the types for dogs is the purity of it.. etc.
Right now she is not at the steriod level nor surgical. Surgical may or may not be a fix. The other problem is the recovery of a 85 pound dog. This would only be determine to do a surgical fix if the flare ups continue or become more severe. Since is this is her first real sign, at this point, surgery would be foolish.
The only indicators had we known this was present, is that sometimes when she scratches her ears- she will yelp. I always check the ear for a scratch or problem with the ears etc ( always clean as a whistle). Well now the vet pointed out it has probably always been there- becauase to scratch the ears can make the head do a sudden jerk.
We know so little about her in health and care. We didnt get her until she was five- she was fed junk becaues her teeth are permanently stained ( the vet said " probably eating color dye foods for years").
This disease is more common in dashounds but its in the back obviously- this is in her neck-cervical..
Any suggestions of bovine good products, or other holistic supplements I could add to her diet etc. When I asked about the metacam, he said the rimadryl is already in her system- we need to continue it until we get her out of this flare up..
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2007, 01:37 AM
poor thing! I don't know anything about this, so have no advice, only good thoughts heading your way.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 05:46 AM
So sorry to hear this news, Michelle. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon with some advice. Hugs honey xox
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 05:48 AM
I'm sorry I can't help either, I'm sure someone will be online shortly who will be able to give some advice.

I just wanted to send you positive vibes and big hugs for your darling girl.

Sheree xx
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 11:31 AM
This is what Sam has and every few months he has a flare up. In fact he is on Rimadyl at the moment. Like you it is being treated conservatively with steroids and Rimadyl as and when required. I have him on a glucosamine/ chondroitin/ msm/ vitamin regime but it does not seem to have a particularly noticeable effect. However I keep him on it because it might be worse without it. Sam is a welsh springer by the way. I don't know about the shark cartilege but it is probably worth a try. I had Sam on green lipped Mussel which some swear by but again, no miraculous effects.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Now that I look again, Sam has not been been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease but it sounds very similar in symptoms.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-07-2007, 11:38 AM
I know what your poor dogs are going through.
I had the same condition many years ago, cervical spondylitis, It's very painfull, I had to wear a supportive collar for over a year, but i got over it OK, never been troubled with it for years.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 11:52 AM
hi michelle been doing some reading on this condition is dogs,and here you can see from the links its very informative,hope it helps,and hows femka today?
http://www.dachshund-dca.org/discbook.html

http://lbah.com/canine/ivd.htm
i found this one very good xx
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2007, 12:48 PM
She had a rough night last night. I have noticed if she sleeps on her left side, she has painful rest. I try to get to her to sleep on her right side, however- thats not going very well.
I got a wonderful pm that gave hope to that the medicaiton can take a week to really start showing signs of helping.
Femka is so stoic. Always has been. Now Zubin if he stubbed his toe, he would yell like someone had cut his leg off. Femka is the total opposite. So to see her in pain is making it harder. She is the " least " in the " drama queen" role in my house.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 12:54 PM
SORRY i cant give any advice michelle , just big gentle hugs and healing vibes xxdk
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >