Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by x_rose_x View Post
Hey, Like everyone else has said theres loads of reason why a dog starts drinking more water than usual, so dont panic especially if hes only drinking more water, Hopefully all will be fine (((((hugs))))) and some for royce ((((hugs))))

oh and kodi sends his love too
(he got all excited when he heard your voice on a vid from one of our walks)

awe the wee sole, just goes to prove rotts are nuts,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi good news, He is not on deaths door,
I got a urine sample just before I went in, so fresh it was still warm
instant diagnosis, he has diabetes {sp?}
I think James must think im off my trolly, I had said "oh thank god thats all it is, thats compleatly treat-able is it not?"
He went on to say most people burst into tears, I explained I thought he had kidney failure and was going to die,
He just laughed at me,,,,,,, He took some bloods to check there was not a problem with the pancreas or liver, he had called dougie with the results prior to me getting home and all is clear,
I asked if we could do something today to help him, but he said
He didnt want to begin to treat him with insulin on a Friday night,the reason being, {his words not mine}" just incase it went T**S up,"
I asked what that medical term meant,,,, so he explained that it can be difficult to get the dose right at the begining of treatment with dogs going into hypos, he would rather start him on monday morning, I have to go in and the nurse will go through the whole thing with me and give him his first jag, that way if something goes wrong I just go to the surgery,
I feel so much better,,,, the vet still thinks Im a loony,,,
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 06:49 PM
glad to hear it wasnt what you thought!! I know I would be just as worried as you were, its just natural isnt it?!!! Hope ur lil fella is on the road to recovery now!! give him a big hug from me xxxxx
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 06:50 PM

Hi Shona, sorry to grin at the start that poor Royce has diabetisBUT hey he'll be ok, its very manageable. My mums old fella (a lab) had it and was 15 when he went to the bridge!!

I hope you sleep a bit better tonight

Hugs to you and Royce from me and Ben
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Oh what a relief for you. At least it is something treatable. We always think the worst don't we when our babies are not well.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Thats great news )))))))))))))))))hugs(((((((((((((((((

There, you can tell the vet you are not the only loon to see a diabetes diagnosis as something to be relieved about considering what your biggest fear was

Has the vet mentioned hereditory factors at all ? As far as I know, the hereditary form `usually` becomes apparent by about 6 months so presumably your lad has the non-hereditary form ? [ Which would mean you have`nt got to panic about his offspring - not trying to panic you there, just asking in passing as its so unlikely to be the hereditory form anyway :smt001 ].

I`m just glad you know whats what with him now and that you are all organised on it with the vet, and well done for acting so fast as well once it was clear he was`nt just having a couple of thirsty days with the weather being so odd or anything like that :smt001

I hope you`ll be able to get a good solid sleep at last after so much worry :smt058
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 07:06 PM
The more I think about it, I guess it would be horrid news to some people, but when you head to the vet, wondering if you are going to be coming home with an empty collar and lead, anything is good news,
I have my homework for the weekend, James has given me a bit of reading material, as well as a video to watch that covers most of the treatment, I have a long appointment with the nurse on monday morning, Also I have the vets private mobile so all in all I feel really fine with the whole situation,

To be honest the next biggest worry which made me sick to the bottom of my guts, was the thought of it being a hereditory issue, then having to call all the people who got pups from vinnie and hollys litter, people who had used him at stud,,,, to tell them,,,
God forbid, how do you word that,,,, erm you know how you put your trust in me and your faith as well as your hard earned cash when you bought your pup,,,well erm it may or may not die a very premature death,,,,,,I felt sick.... I had talked to dennis aka nero last night, He was totaly like stop being silly,,,,,,, your way ahead of your self,,,, even if that is the case nowt short of a crystal ball could have forseen this,,,tis not your fault type of attitude,
I guess as I kept two of the pups from the litter it kinda said I had full confidence in there health,.,,,,, Just so glad I dont need to make those horrid calls to all the puppy owners,,,,
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi Shona, I'm so pleased to hear the news. I know exactly where you're coming from, I would be devastated to hear that one of mine had diabetes, but, on the other hand, had I thought it was something more sinister, I would be relieved.

Big hugs xxx
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 07:19 PM
It seems weird saying that's great news, but it is good news that it's something totally manageable, which must be a relief in a way.

Did that make sense or was it a totally mind boggling post there?
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-07-2007, 07:24 PM
So pleased for you and big Roycie , I told you not to worry, so all's well, and you'll have his companionship for many years to come.
Give the big sod a hug from me.:smt041 :smt041
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »