View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Personally I don't, however I have been looking into homeopathic boosters which is an addition to their food not an injection.
Personally I use my trip to the vet not only for their boosters but also for a full health check for my dog, therefore I would continue to go. And as you say a reaction to a shot can occur at anytime so I wouldn't take the chance at home, I'd rather be at a vets where they had the facilities to deal with it.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 02:32 PM
OK had a quick look at the Veterinary Medicines Regulations and my understanding is that you can indeed vaccinate your won animals as long as you are directed by your vet. Presumeably this had to be in place for people who have to adminster insulin injections, other injections and microchipping etc.
However, it is an offence for anyone other than an authorised person to supply these vaccinations and both of the cases Dawn has cited were where the person concerned obtained the drugs illegally.
However, I wouldn't take my word for it and as soon as I can get a definate answer I will post!
Becky
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Would be interesting to know if it was legal in this country, I for one would do it if it was, I'm insulin dependant diabetic, so not afraid of doing injections and I know when I used to breed guinea pigs my vet used to let me give them injections when they had skin conditions.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2007, 03:18 PM
I'd be very surprised if you could legally vaccinate your own dogs in the UK. Wouldn't it create so many opportunities for fraud and deceit? As in, for example, selling dogs stating you've vaccinated them against x, y, and z, but then not doing to save some money.

I just ran a search or two but can't find a definitive answer to the question though.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 03:34 PM
I am aVN and as far as I am aware it is not legal but I'm having trouble getting a document which says that exactly.

I have found this on the RCVS website though which clarifies who may vaccinate and under what circumstances a vet must be present.

VACCINATION OF COMPANION ANIMALS
Following the Privy Council decision in the Macleod appeal (see RCVSonline Latest News, 25
July 2006), we have revised our guidance on the vaccination of companion animals.
a) First vaccination of a POM-V medicine – the animal must be under care of the
prescribing veterinary surgeon (see Guide, part 2H) and the veterinary surgeon must
carry out a clinical assessment (see Guide, part 2H); (for vaccination clinics see part
2E of the Guide); and then the veterinary surgeon may administer or under his or her
direction a listed or student VN may administer
(see Guide, Part 2F, on the Veterinary
Surgeons Act and Schedule 3 specifically and also the interpretation of “direction”).
If the veterinary surgeon is to certify the vaccination, the certification rules apply (see
Guide, Part 2G and the annex on certification) and generally he or she must do it him
or herself or witness it done.
b) Subsequent vaccination some two weeks or so later (close in time to the first
vaccination) – this is usually authorised by the veterinary surgeon at the time of the
first vaccination (directed by the veterinary surgeon when the animal is under his or
her care and when the clinical assessment is carried out) and therefore the
administration of this vaccination and all dealings may be through a Listed or student
VN at the practice, provided the veterinary surgeon is not intending to certify this
vaccination.
Nevertheless, it is helpful for a veterinary surgeon to be on the premises
at the time the vaccine is administered to the animal, to be able to assist in the event
of the animal suffering an adverse reaction.
c) Booster (or subsequent vaccination not close in time to the first vaccination) - exactly
the same as for the first vaccination.
The Privy Council judgment on the Macleod appeal is available via RCVSonline at
www.rcvs.org.uk/disciplinary.
Published in RCVS News in November 2006.
Revised March 2007.
www.rcvs.org.uk

This is the policy that vets work under and should apply to all animals they are aware of that need vaccination - That is to say approach them with a view to having a companion animal vaccinated. The rules are different for large animals and livestock.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Incidentally it is legal in most US states
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
I should also add that I did not know about the legality of it when I started this thread. I was asking for my own personal interest.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
OK had a quick look at the Veterinary Medicines Regulations and my understanding is that you can indeed vaccinate your won animals as long as you are directed by your vet. Presumeably this had to be in place for people who have to adminster insulin injections, other injections and microchipping etc.
However, it is an offence for anyone other than an authorised person to supply these vaccinations and both of the cases Dawn has cited were where the person concerned obtained the drugs illegally.
However, I wouldn't take my word for it and as soon as I can get a definate answer I will post!
Becky
Len French did not obtain drugs illegally, he was/is a Vet. When filling out a vaccination card you MUST have an "authorised" signature, joe public is NOT authorised to do it.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 05:59 PM
yep im in ireland on one side of the house im in the north and the other the south,well it is ireland,the vet i go is in the north the vet suppliers is in the south,the post gets lost all time xx
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Interesting... hmm...
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »