Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2006, 08:59 AM

Puppy feeding advice required please!

Hello Everyone,

Last friday we collected a 9 week old golden retriver called Max I live in spain and the pup came from granada about a 4 hour drive away! he only came with a days supply of food and (i must add we didnt collect him, a friend fetched him and his brother) we had to change his food immediatley not ideal i know but my friend dosent know the brand he was on and we couldnt get hold of the breeder! i tried to mix small amount of old and new not a easy task with such a meger amout to start with, but on xmas day we had runny poo so we decided to stop the food and give him pasta and chicken (i've been advised in the past for my old girl by her vet in the uk that this a bland diet for upset stomachs) yesterday i gave him small amounts of pasta and the dog food mixed 3 times a day his poo is forming nicley although still soft but this morning his motions were formed, but a small amount at the end was clear gel/mucus is this normal. (i should also add that we went to the vets yesterday and she gave him a worming tablet and had him checked over and said all was ok)i presume its the change of diet/water and surroundings!
any advice would be apprieciated i'm slighty twitchy we have lost our 13 year old retreiver in Nov and im sure im just worrying over nothing, he's very active and plays with my two boys and never seems to sleep much when they are around..
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Sound to me likes it's just the change in food. Done the right thing getting him checked out, just keep an eye on him now but I reckon he'll be fine.

crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Just keep an eye on him, I'm sure he'll be fine, it could be the change of food or even the long car journey.

Welcome to Dogsey!
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi, Is there no chance of getting hold of the breeder by telephone?

Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Hello and Welcome!
Sounds like its just the stress of changing home and food. If the vet things all is well then keep as you are.
Becky
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2006, 10:47 AM
hello Shaza,
My friend is spanish and he has tried on several occasions to contact the spanish breeder by phone and e-mail (i speak very little spanish and the breeder speaks no english) with no luck, anyway as we have had to change the food already it does seem pretty pointless in finding out which he was on previously dont want to change again and risk upsetting him again..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi MJ welcome to Dogsey.
A mixture of the journey/worming/change of food and water may have upset your puppies tummy and made the motions loose.

Chicken or fish and pasta (preferably boiled rice) and porridge oats is fine for a few days if you have run out of food and should settle the tummy too .

You were correct in introducing the new food gradually.Now that the puppy has been on normal food for a few days it will also be necessary to reintroduce the new puppy food gradually by substituting a little of the new food for the fresh food over a period of a week to ten days.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 11:01 AM

A big welcome from a fellow Retriever and his owner
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by mj View Post
hello Shaza,
My friend is spanish and he has tried on several occasions to contact the spanish breeder by phone and e-mail (i speak very little spanish and the breeder speaks no english) with no luck, anyway as we have had to change the food already it does seem pretty pointless in finding out which he was on previously dont want to change again and risk upsetting him again..
Hi Mel, with regards to speaking spanish, you and me both . Thank God for friends that can speak the lingo aye. Well if the vet has checked him over and he seems fine, you are obviously doing the right thing. By the way I have just looked at your profile and Max is a beautiful puppy.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Glad to hear the little chap is settling in well, as the others have said, tummies can be effected with the travelling to new homes, change of diet, worming etc.

Welcome to Dogsey.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >