Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 12:43 PM
I feed a kibble diet.
My dogs are healthy and fit.
Their coats are in good nic as are their teeth (which are regularly commented upon by the vet...)

I am more than happy with the food I give them.
They are healthy,fit and incredibly well.
Normal, happy, healthy dogs.
I will continue to feed this food because of that.

What you feed your dogs is entirely up to you...as long as you make and informed and considered choice.
The BARF diet is not for me...I've read up on it and I choose not to feed it. My choice...

As for the link posted...it's all part and parcel of freedom of information..read, digest,consider and then read something else...carry on til you are happy with your knowledge and your dogs are happy with their dinner.
Brill.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
it didnt scare me, it confounded what i already knew about raw meat.
humans dont eat raw meat because of the bacteria so why should our dogs!
I think you need to re- educate yourself, if you truly believe what you have said.

Dogs are NOT humans, they do not have the same requirements as humans, and to compare a dogs diet to our own is frankly absurd.
if you think about everything a dog eats (including each others /their owner faeces, roadkill, etc etc), do you honestly believe the bacteria found on meat is going to present a problem?

A dogs digestive enzymes are such that they can (unless of course there is an underlying medical condition which prevents this) break down sensible amounts of uncooked bone - they really dont have the delicate digestions that humans do. They are natural scavengers - their digestions are designed with that in mind.

I would be far more worried about bacteria harboured in an opened bag of kibble!
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
I feed a kibble diet.
What you feed your dogs is entirely up to you...as long as you make and informed and considered choice.
The BARF diet is not for me...I've read up on it and I choose not to feed it. My choice....
I would never make so bold as to assume the way I feed is the way that everyone should feed - we all do what we feel is best for our dogs - and lets face it, the dogs dont give a toss - they dont read books, or the internet, they just care about the next meal (whatever that may be!)
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post

I would be far more worried about bacteria harboured in an opened bag of kibble!
I have to agree with this - I have heard of dogs suffering (and even dying) from bloat due to swollen kibble in their stomachs. It's not exactly a natural food - you don't find it in the wild.

But I must admit I do still worry about bones, even though I do feed these to my dog (raw!). Still, tbh I've not seen any choking on raw bones yet I saw him choke when fed rawhide chews in the past (something I no longer feed). I don't worry so much about raw food and parasites (see Mysterious' post above). I do agree that dogs need SOME fruit/veg, possibly grains.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 03:47 PM
I started my guys between a diet of raw food and kibble...

I`ve always had reservations about BARF, as this same debate raged 10 years ago amongst the ferret fraternity.. many becoming sick and dying through vitamin deficiencies.

I started with raw meat as my dog`s breeder fed this and she wouldn`t eat much of anything else when we got her home. Now she has decided she no longer likes raw meat ( took a step back when i put down her bowl and looked at me.. as if to say "i ain`t eating that!") and now LOVES tinned food, with high quality kibble as a side dish.. so thankfully she made the decision for herself.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Got a picture of this in my head Janie- so funny to think of her refusing her lovely raw meat!
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Got a picture of this in my head Janie- so funny to think of her refusing her lovely raw meat!
It was a funny face she had too..

I tried her on turkey/chicken necks too... frozen and defrosted.. she just walked away... my little lhasa x dax.. wolfed em down.. little piggy
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
Please don't lose sleep over that concern. Unless you're storing it where it's going to get wet, conditions really aren't ideal for multiplication of bacteria.
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 04:54 PM
I think that people should feed their dogs whatever they feel happy feeding them , something that suits the time you have available, the money you have, the space that you have and what the dogs will eat

I feed all 3 Mals on a barf diet, they eat raw pigs trotters, backbones, ribs, pigs tails and ears ....and slightly larger bones as recreational (chew) bones. The dogs look fit, act fit and have nice hard poo that doesn't smell much and is easy to pick up

Hudson used to be very faddy and never enjoyed kibble too much but now eats like it is going out of fashion.

As all the bones I feed are pre frozen they at little danger of being damaged by bacteria.

I don't think there should be a kibble v barf debate ..what suits one doesn't suit another
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I have to say I totally disagree with this, at the end of a day what does a dog eat in the wild...

My puppy dog is fed one meal of Butchers wet food in the morning and the rest of her diet is BARF, she has her mince with James Welbeloved kibble, and she much prefares the letter to the processed food.

She is very healthy bright puppy, I think this is just a ploy for producers of mainsrtream dog foods, they are worried about loosing profit, unless my dog becomes ill I will never cease to feed her raw.
Page 2 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »