Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2006, 12:07 AM
i also have aspirin and glucose powder in mine just in case
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2006, 08:00 AM
I always carry the syrup (although not as convenient as tablets I admit), because if a dog get stung in the throat, it is easier and quicker to get syrup down than a tablet.

One of my Borders heard a nose and stuck her head down a rabbit hole (well what self respecting Border wouldnt ) as a baby puppy, and was attacked by a swarm of wasps. Luckily we were able to throw some piriton down her throat en route to the vet - we reckon she was stung in excess of 80 times, several of those in her throat, which was all but closed up

a freak accident, but made me glad of carrying that bottle -although I now decant into a small sterile one.

I have a different 'kit' for in whelp bitches, and yet another for when out working (mars bars replace glucose powder for instance).

thandi
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi kyketulu A large packet of salt covers many minor doggy problems (eg cuts/grazes/sleep in the eyes) and is a must for any medical chest, use it to make a saline solution..
mild = a pint of boiled water and a teaspoon of salt
strong = a pint of boiled water to a tablespoon of salt

I would substitute organic honey for the more refined and artificial glucose.I have kept many sick dogs and puppies alive with the aid of honey and a few other things..

Human medication should never be used on a dog unless a vet specifically instructs one to use them them ...some dogs can have a severe reaction to medication.

Dogs digests things at a different rate to humans, human medications often contain a coating to make them more palatable, this affects the absorbsion rate of the drug and can have an adverse effect .

Ear and eye conditions vary and may be caused by a number of different things, each condition has a specific treatment, use the wrong one and you may delay getting the correct treatment and could make the problem worse.

My doggy medical chest at this moment contains..
cotton wool,
tweezers,
7% solution peroxide
prescription heart pills,
Atarax doggy antihistamine (on prescription from the vet)
and that is the lot
anything else I have around the house
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2006, 12:59 PM
also rescue remedy..i wouldn't be without it
missspottydog
New Member!
Female 

19-05-2007, 02:14 PM
A large blanket to keep them warm or use as a strecther.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 02:37 PM
I carry waspease for wasp stings but it can't be used onthe lips or eyes. I see a lot of you use piriton, do otherantihystimes work as well does anyone know as I take antihystamines for my hayfever but I can't take Piriton as it literally knocks me out. I'd like to just use my own tablets in an emergancy but if its only piriton for dogs I'll get some.
missspottydog
New Member!
Female 

19-05-2007, 05:59 PM
We have a formulary at work (i'm a vet nurse) and it only lists Piriton as an antihistamine that you can give dogs so i'd only give that to be on the safe side.

Its also good for dogs that get travel sick as it works as an anti-emetic (anti sickness) and makes them drowsey which helps to reduce travel anxiety.

You can also use vinegar to neutralise wasp stings.
missspottydog
New Member!
Female 

19-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post

I have a different 'kit' for in whelp bitches, and yet another for when out working (mars bars replace glucose powder for instance).

thandi
Please DONT give chocolate to dogs!!!

Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic. When affected by an overdose of chocolate, a dog can become excited and hyperactive. Due to the diuretic effect, it may pass large volumes of urine and it will be unusually thirsty. Vomiting and diarrhea are also common. The effect of theobromine on the heart is the most dangerous effect. Theobromine will either increase the dog’s heart rate or may cause the heart to beat irregularly. Death is quite possible, especially with exercise. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include: vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, hyperactivity, irregular heartbeat and seizures.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by missspottydog View Post
We have a formulary at work (i'm a vet nurse) and it only lists Piriton as an antihistamine that you can give dogs so i'd only give that to be on the safe side.

Its also good for dogs that get travel sick as it works as an anti-emetic (anti sickness) and makes them drowsey which helps to reduce travel anxiety.

You can also use vinegar to neutralise wasp stings.
Thanks I do use vinegar if I don't have anything else to hand. Think I'll mention thisantihistamine question to my vet when we go at the end of the month & get advice from her. Its only if he had the stings in his mouth in an emergency of course.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I've read recently that ginger capsules given one hour before travelling help stop travel-sickness. I have never used them so cannot vouch for effectiveness but am considering trying them for Marius as he isn't coping too well with the car at the moment.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >