Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by geordieboxerlover View Post
as you may all be aware keira has colitis.
we are off to the vet's friday (again ) to sort out a good diet for her bowel's.
i have just been reading thru the many thread's about food and what other people feed.
someone mentioned eukenoba(sp)
keira was on this last week
is there anything i should know about this?
another thing the vet advised us to put her on was chappie i always thort this was a cheap and nasty brand but have seen since that on the tin it is approved by vet's and the vet did say with it being fish based was ok for keira to have.
your thorts please
btw she has always been fed dried food
My foxhound cross had collitis the only things he could eat were JWB and FROMM. If he ever had wet food the only one he could eat was Chappie. Oddly enough his was set off by rich foods rather than cereals etc.

Now and again he would have bought of it and i just had to do a few days of fish/chicken and rice and then gradually introduce his old food again.

usually his boughts were brought on by people other feeding him titbits even when we asked them not to.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Colitis can cover a multitude of sins ..... Chappie original worked well for me in the past as well as chicken/white fish and rice when particularly upset. Also ... salazopyrin (ab) was very effective with a big flare up.
Eiffel
New Member!
Female 

15-09-2008, 02:03 AM
oy, just get your dog on raw food! kibbles create unbalanced diets that cause these poor guys to get sick!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 05:33 AM
My girl suffered with tummy upset after tummy upset and I eventually after many other things tried her on Chappie tinned chicken and rice and she has never had a problem since.
I will add dried food of any variety including chappie sets her off again, but tinned is fine.
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I used chappie, when i of my old dogs came down with Colitis, but it had to be the original, not the flavoured ones,
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 06:28 PM
all my dogs eat chappie and my mums are on it now as well and all doing great, i don't think any of mine have colitos but they look great. xx
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Mollie was initially diagnosed with colitis but after 18 months of following vets advice on feeding (expensive veterinary diets and eventually chappie) we were advised to have her PTS as she was getting thin and was very unhappy. We then took a leap and started to treat her ourselves and tried her on an elimination diet after only a couple of weeks we realised she was wheat/gluten intolerant. Taking her off all products containing wheat or gluten was a revolution all her bloody (true sense of the word) runny poo stopped and we had proper poo at last.

Not say all dogs with colitis are wheat intolerant but it is worth keeping an open mind and possibly trying to find out if they don't improve.
batmandy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2008, 10:51 AM
I fed my shepard james wellbeloved ocean fish or the duck it worked well for her, try and get some samples of each as i was trail and error with me, but yes chappies was rearly good too
YORKIELOVER
New Member!
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Hi, I have a 14 year old Yorkshire Terrier who has had colitis all her life. She can eat boiled or roast chicken (no rice). I have however found a fabulous dried food called Supadog. It has chicken chunks in it and is free from red meat and maize. She has put on weight and looks much better. She was fine on dried Chappie years ago until they changed the recipe and it set her off again. She still has bouts but not nearly as many. Hope this helps
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 12:06 PM
When Aster had colitis, I think she quickly went back to her regular Pro Plan as advised by her vet. I would work with your vet, and ignore the urban legend nonsense about Eukanuba and Iams. It was long discredited, but continues to be spread by those that hate large corporations.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >