Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2006, 01:25 PM

Fair?

I just wondered what your thoughts were on this..my daughter was handling at Crufts at the week-end, and the judge of her breed gave BOB to his sister-in-law..I personally think this is cheating and certainly not a very ethical thing to do. It was very blatant as he handed her BOB he winked and smiled..it isnt sour grapes on our part, i very much doubt that our bitch would have got BOB anyway..but there were dogs more deserving of the BOB title and entry into the Group Judging than the one that won..Any thoughts?
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Hi Abbey,
(from another 'Abi', LOL!!)

It's always hard when things like this happen in a show ring - I've seen favouritism result in substandard dogs taking the awards several times. No, it's not fair . . and no, there's nothing you can do about it, because if you do people will shout you down and accuse you of having sour-grapes.

Put it down to experience, grit your teeth and keep showing, and hope that the next judge will be more interested in furthering the breed than feathering his own nest.

Commiserations. Rotten luck - hopefully better judge next year.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Yes it is unfair but does go on unfortunatly, to quote Abi grit your teeth and keep showing xx
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

14-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Unfortunately this has been going on for years, I suspect since dog-showing began, and it sometimes results in dogs being made up that shouldn't have been - but the answer is in your own hands, just keep a note of all those judges that do it and don't enter under them or any member of their family. It might mean that you have to miss the odd show but you won't be wasting your money. I remember years ago talking to a pigeon fancier who said exactly the same thing happened in pigeon judging.

You do occasionally get something rather different, where a judge goes entirely against what he has always maintained. Years ago one dobermann breeder couldn't stand brown dobermanns, thought they should all be black and tan. In the fullness of time he judged at Crufts - both his cc winners were brown, he had the grace to admit that they were the best on the day!!! Kath
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 03:36 PM
What a shame, hope it doesn't put you and her off showing - I guess there are some judges who's actions are questionable, but there are hundreds more who are ethical and wouldn't dream of it.

I don't think it should have been allowed as it is too close to home to have the judges Sister-In-Law show under him, however I think that is up to the Kennel Club to change the rules to stop things like that happening.

I'd have been mad too.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Its only unfair if the dog was not the best dog on the day...just because the judge and owner were related doesn't mean it was 'a fix' although it is possible.Was the dog a successful dog under other judges?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi Abbey,
No it's not fair and to be honest i have seen it happen so many times,it's not funny.
Don't let it put you off though,there are plenty of good judges about you just have to choose them.There are quite a few that I would never show under again.
Sal
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 07:31 PM
A friend of mine once said, "I have a black list of judges I will never go under again... and every year it gets longer!"
I know the feeling very well. Last September, Deccy got 4th out of 4 on the Saturday, then the next day against the same competition, won four classes. Polly did nothing in the UK (there was some muttering over one of her connections, before my time) then having been shown for only 6 months last year ended up 10th on the Veteran's leaderboard in Ireland (all breeds) with 5 BVIS at Opens.
We are lucky here in that we have FCI shows which attract foreign judges so we all feel we have more of a "level playing field" and the results change a bit. It's what keeps us going.
I remember a very well known judge and exhibitor, he is still around judging various breeds, made up a young bitch some years ago and came out of the ring that day saying to his friend, "thank goodness we don't have to show THAT again!".
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Blatent, I'll tell you something about blatent. A judge was invited to do a breed club championship show, the judge came all the way from the USA and brought a guest with them.

The judge and guest were provided with accomodation and hospitality by a breeders family, they were wined and dined at the Kennel Club.

The judge gave the CC to an imported bitch owned and handled by the host breeder. Guess who bred the bitch...............yes, the guest the judge brought with them.

Now that's blatent.

Dawn R.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Been there, seen that too in my breed....