View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Yes - Loki loves raw carrot, tomato, cucumber, peppers etc. Not too keen on lettuce or raw cabbage though. He loves all fruit, including grapefruit.

Never tried raw spud, only cooked which he adores. He also loves all cooked veggies.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Benji always begs for a raw carrot if I am chopping them up for the guinea pigs. He also loves bananas too which I think is a bit strange
spot
Dogsey Veteran

09-01-2006, 11:46 AM
One of mine will by pass chicken mince anything to get to carrots.

On the onion thing - I believe it can cause anemia in dogs.
Kady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Chilli-Pepper
both mine love all raw fruit and veg and get them daily for tea with yoghurt(don't feed raw potatos or onions though) their favorite is bananas they will do back flips for them!!
Mine (all 4 dallies) all eat & love raw veg & they have that regualarly as I feed a mainly raw diet. But I wonder if the banana thing is a dally thing as they all go nuts for bananas the springer doesn't though & won't eat many raw vegies unless I puree them then he can't seperate them! Polka even begs for oranges!!!!!!!!!!!

Kadyxx
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Maybe bananas are a Dally thing, funnily enough it's one of the only fruit Archie and Ziggy won't eat, and they always look deeply offended if I offer them a bit!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by annestaff
I thought that too, just did a search on here but couldn't find anything

Yes I have read this too but haven't a clue where
Loustaff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Here are some items you should apparantly avoid.. i dont avoid them all as my dog has a garlic clove once a fortnight.

Items to avoid and Reasons to avoid

Raw potatoes should not be fed, other vegetables from the Nightshade family (tomatoes, peppers & eggplant) can be fed in small to moderate amounts but are best avoided in an arthritic animal as they may aggravate the condition. The only vegetable that would be considered absolutely off limits is onions. A small amount of fresh ginger root and garlic is an excellent addition to the veggie mix.

Alcoholic beverages Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.

Baby food Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. (Please see onion below.) Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.

Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.

Cat food Generally too high in protein and fats.

Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems.

Citrus oil extracts Can cause vomiting.

Fat trimmings Can cause pancreatitis.

Grapes and raisins Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.

Hops Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.

Human vitamin supplements containing iron Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.

Large amounts of liver Can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.

Macadamia nuts Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

Marijuana Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

Milk and other dairy products Some adult dogs and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.

Moldy or spoiled food, garbage Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.

Mushrooms Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.

Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

Persimmons Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.

Pits from peaches and plums Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.

Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. This is more of a problem in livestock.

Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

Raw fish Can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly.

Salt If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.
String Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."

Sugary foods Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.

Table scraps (in large amounts) Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced.

They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.

Tobacco Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.

Yeast dough Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Chilli-Pepper
both mine love all raw fruit and veg and get them daily for tea with yoghurt(don't feed raw potatos or onions though) their favorite is bananas they will do back flips for them!!

Mines the same. When its tea time Hector will nudge me to go and do tea, sit and watch me waiting for anything thats going. Bananas are his best tho' ,
once I've wadded through the drool.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks for that info Loustaff It's good to know.

Brandie will eat anything! I give her fruit and veg sometimes in her kong. Usually though she spits it out, eats all the really yummy stuff then comes back for the carrot etc. at the end! So I guess she's not that keen on it! But she wouldn't turn it down completely because it's food
Jane L
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2006, 09:44 PM
That's very useful. I didn't know about raw potato, not that I think Ella would eat it anyway!
She does like garlic though, I give her a little bit chopped sprinkled on her food once a week or so. It also seems to help to keep fleas away - I don't know if it's coincidence but she hasn't had any flea problems since she started eating garlic.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >