View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2017, 07:51 PM
A raw diet does not have to be balanced on a daily basis, as long as there is a good variety of the product over a period of a few weeks, it will be balanced naturally (easy). And a home made diet (not over cooked/processed) again, with plenty of variety, must be healthier than the commercial, processed kibbles over loaded with un natural grains and poor quality vitamin / mineral supplements that get added, to make it a balanced feed.

There is NO wild dog, living wild on this earth that can naturally obtain and eat ground grain 52 weeks of the year.

Our vets in training and at university are themselves told that complete kibbles are best, therefore this is what they have to believe! They are quiet probably not aware of how our dogs evolved, why their teeth are as they are and their stomachs too.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Forgotten View Post
I have never found puppies to be "picky" when offered natural raw healthy food.
Grain based commercial kibbles are not natural for our canine friends, it is though, a convenient product!
Quote a few puppies/dogs won't touch raw food so they can indeed be picky.

There are a very great number of dogs who thrive on commercial food and live long lives.

Dogs are individuals and so are we so really it's all a matter of personal preference
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2017, 11:51 PM
I am not against raw feeding, but I choose to feed my dogs kibble, wet tray food, and a variety of vegetables. Apart from a bedtime biscuit their food is free from grains. It will be more expensive than the typical supermarket range, but there are many good quality, balanced, grain free foods available these days.
vlite
New Member!
Male 

24-09-2017, 10:52 AM
I am still thinking and researching on what to prepare for them. But I am planning to have only one meal on kibble and the rest on homemade food in short term. In the long run, I am planning to have them on homemade food only. She just doesnt seem to like the kibbles as she starts to not eating unless mixed with something else (or unless no other food is given for a whole day)
shaggydog
New Member!
Male 

19-11-2017, 06:30 AM
Hello.

Some things to consider
1) If she eats other things more palatable, then she will learn to holdnput on dogfood for better treats. So she needs to learn that if not dogfood, she wont have anything else.

2) Ensure dogfood is fresh. Opt for better dogfoods like Go! Or Acana given these are more human grade and meatier.

3) maybe shes eating enough and we just wanma feed her more. Check the label for serving sizes
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by vlite View Post
Thanks for the reply!

My main concern is salmonella (especially on chicken) and escherichia coli (especially on beef) that may cause diarrhea and other complications. I guess this came up first thing to my mind because I have studied regarding food safety a couple years back. Is there at the very least, any treatment to the meat to minimize these? (As well as any treatment to the raw beef bone for chewing purposes)
I think you are right to be concerned about risks with feeding raw. Personally, I am happy to feed my dog cooked meats. I have children around and if the weather is hot I would not feel happy with raw. It can be frozen (and bought frozen specifically for feeding dogs) but I would rather buy HUMAN quality meats and feed it cooked. My dogs have always done very well on a mixture of cooked human meats (lamb, chicken, beef, etc., as well as occasional scrambled egg) - and I always mix it in with their dried food - about one third cooked meat and two thirds the best quality dried I can afford. I simply cook the meat with water (usually in the microwave) and feed it cooled with the resulting liquid and mixed in with the dried - not letting the dried food go soggy.
I never give any milk because of possible digestive problems.
One important thing if you are going to change the dried food you currently feed is to introduce the new dried variety slowly - mixed in with what you are currently feeding. Do it over a week or two, gradually phasing out the old dried variety. This way you should avoid any tummy problems caused by changing over.
I have never had any problems feeding cooked fresh meats and scrambled egg (without added milk) is good if your pup ever gets a bit of loose stool. Good luck - you sound like a very caring owner and your pup is lucky to have you.
Edited to add: As others have said never feed cooked bones.
vlite
New Member!
Male 

19-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the reply all. As of late, I have prepared my own homemade dog food. Especially because my puppy doesnt seem too keen on kibbles. I tried Pedigree over royal canin and she didnt want to touch it. So back to royal canin, but she didnt really have an appetite for it. Now I stocked another brand, I think Regal or something for her.

I cooked my own dog food and her appetite increased a lot. She wouldnt leave the food bowl until its empty now!. I still have kibbles mixed in a lil bit just in case.

She looked waay way more enthusiastic on meal time than before. Not only her appetite increased a lot but its cheaper for me to cook her food than buying kibbles at the store.

I will see how she develops for the coming 1-2 months. Hoping all go well. She has been on this diet for 2 weeks without any problem, so it is looking good so far.

@aerolor, luckily she doesnt have any digestive problem with the milk! I gave her milk like once or twice a week only though..
COBAR5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2017, 02:22 AM
Great news, cooking food seems to be going well.
Dogs like a bit of variety with food , it sure tastes better.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-12-2017, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by vlite View Post
Thanks for the reply!

My main concern is salmonella (especially on chicken) and escherichia coli (especially on beef) that may cause diarrhea and other complications. I guess this came up first thing to my mind because I have studied regarding food safety a couple years back. Is there at the very least, any treatment to the meat to minimize these? (As well as any treatment to the raw beef bone for chewing purposes)
Late reply...
Ours, for the most part, gets a mixture of wet and dry commercial dog food. Best we can get. Now and again, a bit of raw steak.

He does get chicken but never uncooked. We have the same concerns that you do. Tonight we had a whole chicken done in the oven. We don't care for legs and wings so Max gets those minus any skin and bones. It's a bit of work but he gets what we think are the best bits for him.

Others here may disagree with me but he is in fine fettle. Maybe we are doing something right........
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2018, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I have fed raw for years and on the 8th generation of raw fed dogs, I wean my puppies onto raw and they only go to homes that will commit to raw feeding. It is the natural way to feed, their digestive system was not designed for grains and as has already been said commercial contains products that do more harm than good.
What sort of harmful pathogens are you actually talking about because I've never experienced them
An interesting link:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...inds-pathogens
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3