View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Monica28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2013, 08:31 AM

Found out foster dog is pregnant, and would love some advise on when to expect pups

Hey everyone! Me and my fiancé recently rescued a boxer/lab mix from the shelter who was to be euthanized for kennel cough. We signed the shelter papers that stated that she would need to spayed by dec, 3. We got her home and started her on antibiotics the vet prescribed (doxi) and she is all better, but I kept noticing how round she was getting! I got out my stethoscope and thats when I heard the fast little heart beats So this is my question: since I have no idea when she was bred, how will I know when she will go into labor? I want to make sure she is not alone when she does. Her tummy is pretty big, she is very full with milk now, I have seen a clear drainage for 2 days. Also I take her temp 2 times a day. It has been ranging from 98.4-99.6. I though if it dropped labor was soon? But its been that way for a few days, she is also still eating like a little piggy, and will not stay in her whelping box. Any advice would be fabulous!
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Sounds imminent to me although you sound as though you are doing all the right things. You wont be able to spay her by Dec 3rd she will still be feeding her babies.
Monica28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Yes I let the shelter know that she is pregnant, and it will need to be postponed. She looks huge tonight and almost uncomfortable. The puppies are kicking like crazy.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Can you get her scanned? I know nothing about breeding but others here do. Just thinking a scan might put more of a date on it? Most are only pregnant for about 8 weeks in total aren't they?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Its around 64 days for pregnancy. She won't stay in her whelping box, you'll have to leave her to wander around if she is uncomfortable. Mine have their babies on plastic sheeting with old sheets and also disposable sheets under them, that I can move and burn . Then when all is done and dusted I move them into wherever they will be living, I don't use a whelping box at all. A big dog needs space not to be cramped up. Imagine if you were giving birth and someone shut you in a cupboard!!!
Some eat before, during and after giving birth, some don't
Let her eat the afterbirth as it contains a lot of nutrients that kick start her hormones. Don't give her rich food because her milk will be half strength for the first five days, then gradually up what she is getting. DO NOT give extra calcium, start cracking raw eggs into her bowl along with the shell, she will leave the shell initially, when she starts eating the shell that tells you she is needing stuff with bone in it.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Hi,

We recently acquired a Boxer X Lab too, just found out today she finished her season in September as I was worried she may be pregnant. I can't help with the whelping thing but would be interesting to compare notes sometime on our girlies
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2013, 02:50 PM
I would put the thermometer away tbh, it *can* be an indicator, but it's not necessary to keep taking their temperature, the physical signs will be more obvious, and if they're gonna pop out THAT unexpectedly, knowing the temperature won't matter. You may also get a false reading if you're not experienced at taking temperatures

Don't be surprised if she goes off her food a bit, I raw feed, and my bitch went completely off her food. I ended up giving her tinned chappie just to get something down her!
Monica28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Can you get her scanned? I know nothing about breeding but others here do. Just thinking a scan might put more of a date on it? Most are only pregnant for about 8 weeks in total aren't they?
I keep reading 63-67 days. And yes an ultra sound would be helpful! I would like to know how many puppies she has.

Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Its around 64 days for pregnancy. She won't stay in her whelping box, you'll have to leave her to wander around if she is uncomfortable. Mine have their babies on plastic sheeting with old sheets and also disposable sheets under them, that I can move and burn . Then when all is done and dusted I move them into wherever they will be living, I don't use a whelping box at all. A big dog needs space not to be cramped up. Imagine if you were giving birth and someone shut you in a cupboard!!!
Some eat before, during and after giving birth, some don't
Let her eat the afterbirth as it contains a lot of nutrients that kick start her hormones. Don't give her rich food because her milk will be half strength for the first five days, then gradually up what she is getting. DO NOT give extra calcium, start cracking raw eggs into her bowl along with the shell, she will leave the shell initially, when she starts eating the shell that tells you she is needing stuff with bone in it.
Thank you for the advise. I will try the egg in her diet. Her whelping box is pretty good size, but I think she wants to have them in the utility room because she keeps checking it out lol and yes she is still eating a lot, and mostly sleeping.

Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
Hi,

We recently acquired a Boxer X Lab too, just found out today she finished her season in September as I was worried she may be pregnant. I can't help with the whelping thing but would be interesting to compare notes sometime on our girlies
Anytime would be great!
Monica28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I would put the thermometer away tbh, it *can* be an indicator, but it's not necessary to keep taking their temperature, the physical signs will be more obvious, and if they're gonna pop out THAT unexpectedly, knowing the temperature won't matter. You may also get a false reading if you're not experienced at taking temperatures

Don't be surprised if she goes off her food a bit, I raw feed, and my bitch went completely off her food. I ended up giving her tinned chappie just to get something down her!
Yes the temp taking is stressing me out because its not consistent! It makes me think she is about to go into labor when she is not. And she knows what the thermometer is now and will hide lol poor thing
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Put a load of newspaper down in the utility and let her dig it up and make a bed, keep old sheets etc handy and then when its all sorted then you can transfer them. Have some old towels handy as well, she will more than likely open the sac, if it is her first litter then she may be confused about what to do and you may have to help her. My older girl helped my younger girl on her first time, then after that she was fine and once she finished cleaning the sac and stimulating them, I gave them a rub over with the towel and put them on her.
I have never ever taken their temp, I watch them, and they still get me on the hop, I only just caught Mabs in time, I knew she was going to do it, but she wanted to have them outside with the others, and I was lucky to catch her. I'd had her in the house most of the time, just letting her out with the others in the afternoon when I sorted stuff out.
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »