Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2013, 03:07 PM

Fun dog show! What to expect?

At the rally on Sunday the woman with the PAT-Rottie told us about a dog show in Bowood in June, so I decided to buy tickets because I want to get Ella used to being around more dogs and people. And they have fun categories for non-pedigree dogs so I thought about entering Ella in some of them! The ones I'm interested in are:

Best Rescue/Rehomed Dog
Dog With The Waggiest Tail
Dog With The Most Appealing Eyes
Best Condition
Dog The Judge Would Like To Take Home

But I have no idea what exactly we'll have to do so I was wondering if anyone else has done a fun dog show?

Will I have to present her like in a pedigree show? Is she going to be touched by people or have to be near other dogs or are we going to have to do some obedience exercises?

Basically I really have no idea, but I hope it's going to be fun!
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2013, 06:41 PM
If it's anything like ones I've attended, you stand around the edge of a ring in a circle. The judge will come round and chat to you about your dog, have a little stroke of the dog maybe and that's about it!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2013, 12:34 PM
ditto the above!!! it won't be anything serious, and people stacking their dogs do stand out like a sore thumb!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Excellent!
Thought if I had to make her stand 'properly' I'd have a lot of training to do lol.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Those are novelty classes, no "showing" required! The judge however may wish to handle your dog, you can of course ask them not to, but if its an anti social dog (not saying yours is) it shouldnt be there anyway. You will enjoy it.
Nikki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Theres a fun dog show at chapel farm rehab (pensford) on the 2nd june if your interested, I'm part of the agility demo
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Those are novelty classes, no "showing" required! The judge however may wish to handle your dog, you can of course ask them not to, but if its an anti social dog (not saying yours is) it shouldnt be there anyway. You will enjoy it.
Thanks! Ella has no problems with people, she loves being cuddled (only misbehaviour is her still jumping up a little in excitement) so handling by people is no problem.
She's only antisocial with other dogs that come too close and are too much in her face because she's insecure around them. But we're working hard on that, hence I'm trying to take her to things like this to increase her confidence

Originally Posted by Nikki123 View Post
Theres a fun dog show at chapel farm rehab (pensford) on the 2nd june if your interested, I'm part of the agility demo
Ooh sounds interesting! Is there public transport going there? As I won't have the car then and my boyfriend will be sleeping off his hangover that morning
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Thanks! Ella has no problems with people, she loves being cuddled (only misbehaviour is her still jumping up a little in excitement) so handling by people is no problem.
She's only antisocial with other dogs that come too close and are too much in her face because she's insecure around them. But we're working hard on that, hence I'm trying to take her to things like this to increase her confidence
Thats not your dogs problem! She will do fine Im sure.
Nikki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Ooh sounds interesting! Is there public transport going there? As I won't have the car then and my boyfriend will be sleeping off his hangover that morning
I think the street (wells) bus goes pass there but not 100% sure