Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kitkat1
New Member!
Male 

02-04-2013, 09:17 AM

Lhasa apso

Hi there, I have 2 lhasa apso both 3 years old male and female.iv had the male from 7weeks old fully injected and neutered. (buster), but iv only had the female since November 2012,( daisy ) who is also 3years old. I took her to save her from being put in a dog home. she did not have any off her injections etc (now rectified) and she's had a litter with previous owners (and I think it was for the money) the last owners could not tell us when she had her last season so we had to wait till she went into one as we wanted her speyed. She has had her season and was speyed yesterday and obviously this is causing her some distress, the vet gave her an injection for the pain and said that she would be back to normal by today.
We had a pretty rough night with daisy( expected) but she seems still to be in pain, couple of questions that I would like answers to please are,

1.should have the vet given us pain relief home for daisy?
2.what other side effects should we look out for?
3.she seems to jump and lick and bite at the wound,is this normal?
4.anyone got hints/tips?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Poor wee thing. When I had my Lhasa spayed they to gave her a pain killer injection before she came round from the anaesthetic and I too was told she'd be fine the following day. What rubbish that was . My little one cried non-stop, was distressed trying to wee and poo and clearly was in pain. I phoned the vets and they left some more pain killers out for me to collect and she was so much better after those.

She also hated wearing the lamp-shade collar, so I removed it and put her in a baby's T-shirt which stopped her bothering her stitches.

It is a major op she's had - removal of womb etc so she really does need her rest and no stretching or playing with another dog.

Good luck!!
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2013, 02:10 PM
I would call the vet and ask for pain medication. Other than that, unfortunately there's not much else that can be done. What does her incision look like?

It is normal for a dog to like their wounds and incisions. Just keep an eye on her and try to not let her lick it. Like Jenny said, a shirt will be more comfortable than the cone.
kitkat1
New Member!
Male 

02-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the reply,yes totally echo all you say,I called the vets and told them that she was in alot of pain and that we could not bare to see her in so much pain.we were asked to bring her in and she wad given another pain injection which has the same effects as morphine,and also an antibiotic to help.since having that 2nd pain killer she has managed to get some sleep and hopefully this will aid her recovery alot better. She has another follow up appointment on Thursday so im hoping she will be on the mend by then.fingers crossed thanks again
kitkat1
New Member!
Male 

02-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
I would call the vet and ask for pain medication. Other than that, unfortunately there's not much else that can be done. What does her incision look like?

It is normal for a dog to like their wounds and incisions. Just keep an eye on her and try to not let her lick it. Like Jenny said, a shirt will be more comfortable than the cone.
she does not have a cooler on as their are only 2 stitches on the outside 1 at either end,all the rest see under the skin and will disolve in time. Yes we let her lick the wound as it will keep it clean but what we don't want is for her to catch either stitch at the ends and cause her distress.im sure all will be good in a couple of days.This is our 1st bitch so all new to us.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2013, 02:25 PM
It is important to stop her licking and biting the wound. Teeshirts are enough for some dogs to deter them, but not all and much as the cones are ungainly, it's worth putting them on when you aren't in a position to supervise (even if it's only cooking tea or at night when you sleep).

Hopefully, the second lot of pain relief will do the trick x
kitkat1
New Member!
Male 

02-04-2013, 03:48 PM
The vet actually advise you let the dog lick the wound as this keeps it clean.but not to let her do it too often,she only seems to lick it when she gets the nip from the stir the at either end.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-04-2013, 04:18 PM
My vets also advised me to let Cariad lick the wound, they assured me she wouldn't interfere with the stitiches, I was somewhat dubious about this, and they said if she did to put a t shirt on her. Anyhow they were right and she kept the wound clean but didn't do anything else. She was right as ninepence after the op, I was warned she would more than likely sleep all night, er no, she was at the door wanting to go for a walk and a download by 9pm and wouldn't take no for an answer. They did give me some pain relief for her, to be given the following day, but because she was so fine in herself I never gave it her, as I didn't want her overdoing things, she was already acting like nothing had happened, so pain relief would have given her a false sense of security and she could have done herself some damage.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Neither of mine were given any pain relief for post-spaying and did not seem to need any. Little One did not need a cone as she ignored her stitches, but when Pereg was brought home the afternoon she was spayed [bounding down the path to get in] she was extremely interested in her stitches, so I put a cone on her the next day which I had gotten "just in case" and she forgot all about them.