Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Your best showing tips and secrets!

Well, I'm tentatively exploring the show world... No, not with Bodhi

I've had a lot of fantastic support from Fred's breeders, but I still have a long way to go!

I thought it might be fun to do a hints and tipsy thread. I know lots of breeds are shown differently from one another, but general tips for the day, or for your breed would be great for those just starting out!

For example.... It took me ages to find my bench at the champ show in Manchester. I worked out my number was in the catalogue eventually lol

And I didn't know it was useful to bring a chain to tie your dog up either! Not that I needed to, but if someone had more than one dog.

Also handling tips are always appreciated!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
Well, I'm tentatively exploring the show world... No, not with Bodhi

I've had a lot of fantastic support from Fred's breeders, but I still have a long way to go!

I thought it might be fun to do a hints and tipsy thread. I know lots of breeds are shown differently from one another, but general tips for the day, or for your breed would be great for those just starting out!

For example.... It took me ages to find my bench at the champ show in Manchester. I worked out my number was in the catalogue eventually lol

And I didn't know it was useful to bring a chain to tie your dog up either! Not that I needed to, but if someone had more than one dog.

Also handling tips are always appreciated!

Just a few quick ones, take one of the roll fluff removers with you, its great to get the dog hair off your clothes just before you go in the ring.

Take your own lunch/coffer , so you don`t have to worry about leaving your dog. plenty of poo bags and water for the dog.

In the ring , the only thing I can say is don`t faff, and keep your eye on the judge.

Specially with pups/young dogs, don`t keep trying to get a better stand, if you are happy with it, leave it at that, the more you faff, the more the dog gets fidgety , and the plot is lost .
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Allow plenty of time to get there, you don't want to arrive stressed because you hit unexpected traffic.

You don't need a catalogue to find your bench number it will be on your pass, I only ever buy a catalogue at Crufts and the breed club shows.

I also like to check out the ring so I know where it is well in advance of needing too. Keep an eye on the classes, I nearly missed one of mine because I was catching up with a friend, very embarrassing, we had a lovely french judge, he probably thought I was a right ****!

Wear comfortable shoes, it can be a long day.

I am sure there are loads more things that could be mentioned.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Just a few quick ones, take one of the roll fluff removers with you, its great to get the dog hair off your clothes just before you go in the ring.

Take your own lunch/coffer , so you don`t have to worry about leaving your dog. plenty of poo bags and water for the dog.

In the ring , the only thing I can say is don`t faff, and keep your eye on the judge.

Specially with pups/young dogs, don`t keep trying to get a better stand, if you are happy with it, leave it at that, the more you faff, the more the dog gets fidgety , and the plot is lost .
That is me, I tend to fiddle and the dogs do then play up! I would also say take your time when setting off, start a few paces at a walk. You only get one shot to make a good impression.

Watch the good handlers!
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Some great tips! I faff far too much, and I've seen how different it makes him look from when someone just gets him stood, he hunches up and looks miserable! I need to get it done much more quickly.

I had no idea which classes i was in last time! I knew which ones i had entered, but had no idea which one was which, and if it hadnt been for others I'd have just wandered about aimlessly!

Where do you find your ring class and time?? I'm still not sure
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Some great tips! I faff far too much, and I've seen how different it makes him look from when someone just gets him stood, he hunches up and looks miserable! I need to get it done much more quickly.

I had no idea which classes i was in last time! I knew which ones i had entered, but had no idea which one was which, and if it hadnt been for others I'd have just wandered about aimlessly!

Where do you find your ring class and time?? I'm still not sure :D
It will depend on the show in question the large champ shows will give you the info when they send out your pass, or it will be in the schedule.

Work to the thinking, most shows will start around 8.30 , 9am, having a dog , you will always be in the ring first, and having a pup, in the first or second class..... so always get there in plenty of time for the first class, this will help you settle in, find your bench and take a breath.

You will find, you will always be benched next to the same people (more or less) as it will go in alphabetical order (surnames) this will also help to find your bench.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Thanks! Went to an open show at the weekend, but had to withdraw as Fred is lame on anti inflammatories and rest. Was good just watching though.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2013, 08:19 PM
I hope Fred gets better soon x
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Just a couple...

Like has been said we get there in plenty of time and normally make sure we have at least half an hour for the dogs to settle. Also not too long before going in for a class we like to find somewhere to trot the dogs up and down this either wakes them up or settles them down depending on how they are feeling.

I always get a catalog so to find out how many are in the classes to get a better idea of how long it will be until our classes start and also so I know who else is there.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks! Went to an open show at the weekend, but had to withdraw as Fred is lame on anti inflammatories and rest. Was good just watching though.
What a shame.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >