Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2013, 03:15 PM

How does one get started in showing?

So many people have told me I should show Sookie (our 5 month old dobermann) that i am tempted to think about it. How does one go about getting started in it? Whilst i watch Crufts every year the general world of showing is a complete mystery to me!
If anyone can enlighten me I would be grateful!
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Hi, look for ringcraft classes in you area, they will show you how to present your pup and she will get used to being gone over by a judge.There will be lots of people to answer any questions you have and they should have schedules of open shows near you to enter her in when you feel ready. Have fun
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2013, 04:21 PM
As above.........

Also, I assume your pup is KC registered, without that you cannot show her in conformation classes.... so going on the proviso she/he is , then the first port of call is ring craft, as suggested find one in your area, you will learn how to stand pup, ring etiquette, get pup used to the ring, judges and being gone over by strangers.

Ask you breeder if 1) they think pup is show quality, 2) for any tips on showing.

Look in the dog papers (also at ringcraft) for schedules of shows, find one you wish to enter, you will probably be in either minor puppy( 6/9 mths) or puppy(6/12 mths), depending on the show.

Remember the most important thing is to enjoy it , that goes for you and your pup,
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dobionekenobi View Post
So many people have told me I should show Sookie (our 5 month old dobermann) that i am tempted to think about it. How does one go about getting started in it? Whilst i watch Crufts every year the general world of showing is a complete mystery to me!
If anyone can enlighten me I would be grateful!
Did you buy her from a breeder that shows? Best bet if you did for an honest opinion of whether it will be worth your pursuing it. They will be able to advise you in all aspects of showing along with what has already been suggested to you on this thread.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Hi guys, thanks! Yes, she is KC registered and her breeder used to show and thinks we should absolutely be showing her! It was her suggestion that made me actually take it seriously!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Dobionekenobi View Post
Hi guys, thanks! Yes, she is KC registered and her breeder used to show and thinks we should absolutely be showing her! It was her suggestion that made me actually take it seriously!
Then she is the person that can and should be able to answer all your questions.

Good luck, keep us informed and a pic or two would be good aswell.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Dumb question maybe, do i just google ring classes or is there somewhere specific i should be checking to find them?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Hi, the KC have some really good help to get you started, have a look at their website here:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/265

As you scroll down you will see the find a club button which helps you find a club in your area that delivers ringcraft.

Also your breed club should be very helpful as many put on Limit Shows (just for members) so it is not such a scary experience.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Hello Sarah this Dogsey article may be of help to you....

So you want to show your Dog?
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks for starting this thread Sarah, it's already answered questions I didn't know that I had
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >