Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 01:41 PM

Good priced grain free kibble (or wet?)

My poor spaniel man has been having problems with his ears (scratching), and feet (chewing), not to mention the farting and I am thinking that he is having a problem with cereal (discussed with vet, and he agrees)

The girls are absolutely fine on their Skinners/Harringtons/Naturediet/Raw. Sadly I cannot feed 100% raw due to lack of freezer space. So I am going to try Rupert on a grain free diet and see if this helps him. Had a quick look at the price of Orijen and nearly fainted. Even if its just for him, its an insane price (to me anyways!)

So, does anyone else feed a reasonably priced grain free (doesnt have to be a huge sack) and or a grain free wet (os that even possible?)

Any help for poor boyo?
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-05-2012, 01:48 PM
You could have a look at this food. I know a few people that feed it with good results.You will also find quite a few people marketing this food with the same formula under different brand names but I would guess that it's all made at Golden Acre's near Preston.
http://www.workinghprs.com/content/d...-dog-food-30kg
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Looks good. But thing is, just him eating it, 30kgs will be hanging around for ages. Just had another look at Zooplus, and found Acana, and Taste of the Wild.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 02:03 PM
James Wellbeloved do two varieties of grain free.

Applaws do grain free.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 02:06 PM
oooh...didnt know Applaws did one. Will have to have a looky, have you used either of these?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Not used JWB, tried Applaws, as I only used it as emergency/tracking food, I could not give you an overall view.

I do know that the dogs did not go mental for it as they do the Orijen (and both of them are gannets).
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Rupert is a gannet too, if it looks reasonably edible, then he will have a go.

Blooming annoying, the girls..happy to eat their usual food, the boy has to be the PITA (thats about right tho isnt it!)
SADIE-DOODLE
New Member!
Female 

13-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Have you looked at the CSJ website? They do a complete food called No Grainer. xxx
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Vitalin Adult Maintenance and CSJ No Grainer are the cheapest grain free dry foods that I'm aware of. Gelert's on the Vitalin at the moment, it does however make him poo an awful lot (no other kibble, grain free or otherwise, has this effect on him) so I might give the CSJ a try next.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Have you looked at Wafcol, I believe they do a good Salmon & Potato food which I think is grain free?

I have requested a trial sample for Dexter as may start adding a handful of dry food to his Wainwrights wet trays.

In terms of wet foods: if you look on Zooplus they have a pretty good range of wet foods.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >