View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Fits look worse than they are for the dog. I used to simply chuck a towel over my dog (they can be incontinent) , shove furniture away if necessary and leave him alone.
When he came round it would take up to half an hour before he oriented himself so it is important that he is left to rest afterwards. My dog didn`t recognise me for a while and I would certainly have been bitten if I`d tried to comfort him.
My dog only had occasional fits so there was no need for medication. He lived a long and happy life.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I think everyone probably feels the same about leaving their dog in case they have a fit, I know I did. If I did have to go out I would be rushing the whole time to get back home. But once he's stabilised, life should go on as normal, quite often, they may only have a fit once or twice a year once the medication is right.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by indianabones View Post
Indie had another seizure in the early hours of this morning which woke me as he was upstairs. It was very frightening to see. This was quite severe as he emptied his bowel and bladder. The worst part was that for a while after he came out of the seizure he was very agressive towards me and I had to move away from him as even just looking at him caused him to growl at me. This passed after about 10 minutes and he then became very clingy and didn't want me out of his sight...talk about extremes!

I have taken him to the Vet this morning and he thinks it is probably epilepsy but he will take some blood tomorrow to rule out anything else.
It's all abit scary and distressing especially as I don't feel able to leave the kids (they are sensible teenagers) in the house alone with Indie now because of the agression.
I'm shattered this morning. I'm at work but worried about the whole thing especially as my husband is not home until the weekend (he is in the Navy) and I'm worried about Indie having another seizure and me not being there.
I'm so sorry for both you and Indie. Especially you a you will be suffering far more than him as you are naturally worried sick and traumatised seeing your beautiful boy in such a state. One thing I suggest you do is make a not of the date, time and duration of the actual seizure. It seems like a lifetime but usually is only 30 seconds to 2 minutes. It will be important for the future and handy for the vet to have.

The aggression in the post ictal stage of a seizure is pretty common and no reflection on Indie's true temperament. He's so bewildered at what's happening to him right now. One of my previous neighbours was epileptic and he said he had no awareness of actually being in the seizure, just coming round afterwards and feeling dazed for a while after. So that horrible convulsing you see, the dog is mercifully not conscious at the time and it is far more traumatic to watch than have.

Luckily, your kids are teenagers so you can tell them if Indie has a seizure and you're not at home just to stay calm and leave him until he's come out of it. The best thing they can do is draw the curtains of the room he's in, make sure he has a full water bowl and let him have some peace and quiet. Your first reaction is to want to comfort them by holding them, but that's the worst thing you can do. When he is ready and feeling more himself, he will come to you for reassurance.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2