View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-05-2012, 09:08 AM
The breeder fed my new GSD puppy on Beta Puppy and she gave me a small supply to take home, i discovered this caused him to be very smelly, ie a really strong odor whenever he came close. I tried giving him a Spa Treatment, (shower) but this didnt help so I tried switching his food to Wainrights, which was a huge improvement and the smell went away.

Having heard about Orijen (80% meat content) I bought some from Amazon and mixed it with his Wainrights, but next morning he had diarrhoea. I think it was too rich for him?

I am now feeding him James Welbeloved Junior large breed, which he seems to be happy on. He is just 3 months old so I will maybe try the Orijen again when he gets a little older. Just glad he is happy with his food.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 12:01 PM
My last two dogs (gsd and goldie) lived long and healthy lives on JWB. It may be the best one for your dog.

This time I had to try a few dry foods with my shepherd until I settled on Origen. But it didn't suit my goldie. She is on Acana although she came to me on Fish4dogs, which is a good food but not right for her.
ailsas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Mine were fed Orijen for a couple of years and they loved it, they were in great condition, I was lucky as there was a pet shop a few miles away that sold it which meant I didn't have to pay postage. My pair are now fed raw and they are doing even better on that.
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The breeder fed my new GSD puppy on Beta Puppy and she gave me a small supply to take home, i discovered this caused him to be very smelly, ie a really strong odor whenever he came close. I tried giving him a Spa Treatment, (shower) but this didnt help so I tried switching his food to Wainrights, which was a huge improvement and the smell went away.

Having heard about Orijen (80% meat content) I bought some from Amazon and mixed it with his Wainrights, but next morning he had diarrhoea. I think it was too rich for him?

I am now feeding him James Welbeloved Junior large breed, which he seems to be happy on. He is just 3 months old so I will maybe try the Orijen again when he gets a little older. Just glad he is happy with his food.
Into consideration that you gave Wainwrights, i also used to give him that, but this food caused so much problems: first it was giving unbearable winds, second he was going to poo every time he was taken outside and it was so much, third the skin condition worsen it became dry and itchy. Took him to vets and they said try change the food, so i tried Orijen after that everything improved. Even the body structure so happy about this food existence, its just that its so expensive in comparison with other brands, but as many say (YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR)
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by ailsas mum View Post
Mine were fed Orijen for a couple of years and they loved it, they were in great condition, I was lucky as there was a pet shop a few miles away that sold it which meant I didn't have to pay postage. My pair are now fed raw and they are doing even better on that.
I was also considering to give raw diet to my dog, but wasn't sure as heard many negatives which could cause bacterias and so on.

What diet you provide your dog? Is true that raw food amounts should be fed with higher portions then dog dry food ones?
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I have a 16 week old border terrier puppy, initially I started him off on wet food as I thought it was better for him, but now I also feed it along with kibble, he gets Wainwrights wet and JWB kibble. His poos can often be a bit 'soft'.

So I was thinking of changing to Orijen, I find kibble handy as I can use it for clicker training and I can leave him with kibble filled Kongs when I go out to work. He also appears to have gone off the Wainwrights unless it's mixed with kibble (he seems to prefer the texture of the kibble).

How much does Orijen work out to feed per week/month? It's for a 16 week old Border Terrier.

If anyone can give me a rough idea of costs that would be great. Is it the best dry food you can get? I just want a happy healthy puppy (with happy healthy poo!)
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Roofs View Post
I have a 16 week old border terrier puppy, initially I started him off on wet food as I thought it was better for him, but now I also feed it along with kibble, he gets Wainwrights wet and JWB kibble. His poos can often be a bit 'soft'.

So I was thinking of changing to Orijen, I find kibble handy as I can use it for clicker training and I can leave him with kibble filled Kongs when I go out to work. He also appears to have gone off the Wainwrights unless it's mixed with kibble (he seems to prefer the texture of the kibble).

How much does Orijen work out to feed per week/month? It's for a 16 week old Border Terrier.

If anyone can give me a rough idea of costs that would be great. Is it the best dry food you can get? I just want a happy healthy puppy (with happy healthy poo!)

My pup is on Orijen & some days raw (athough having just vomitted raw sardines I may reconsider )some Nature diet.

Had a look on the sack for you. The feeding guide for 16- 28 weeks is per weight of pup-

3-5kg 120-180g day
5-10kg 180-300 day

I wouldn't think yours wil be over 10kg by 28 weeks if ever.

I got mine online from Nutrevet? Can't remember for around the £50 ish as they had a £5 voucher off deal at the time.
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Looks like as a pup it would cost about £30 a month, that's not too bad!
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Roofs View Post
Looks like as a pup it would cost about £30 a month, that's not too bad!
I meant nutrecare! I have a 'introduce a friend' thingy if you want it but only gives you 5% off. You may find cheaper elsewhere.

Just had a look it's £60.99, must have gone up. Zooplus charge the same but as a new customer to them you may get a %.

Best to shop around. Zooplus do 2 sacks for £105.98, but whether you'd get through them both before he goes onto adult.

The only thing to bear in mind is the price differs from pup to adult. The basic adut is £59.99, then fish with sea veg £75 & original red around £80. Zooplus do deals for 2 sacks which makes it a bit cheaper.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 03:58 PM
I get a large bag of Orijen fish for Tala at just under £65 with my discount. I thought it lasted about 3 weeks but that cant be right. She has approx 300g a day and the bag is 13.5kg. I'm probably remembering how long it lasted before I reduced her food. Help please from the mathematically inclined!

I have to be careful with her diet as she is prone to putting on weight since she was speyed. But you feed far less of the Orijen anyway so it is good value.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >