Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-03-2012, 05:45 PM

My first working trials event ...

So spent a few hours at a working trials event today .
Every one seemed nice ,a good few different breeds ...

2 points i did notice
1. Everyone was moaning about just missing by a certain point or half point, which reminded me of my mum when she doesn't win at bingo by one number .lol
2 .90% of the competitors where women of a certain age ..lol

I watch the tracking from a distance and the control and scale/jumps pretty close...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
So spent a few hours at a working trials event today .
Every one seemed nice ,a good few different breeds ...

2 points i did notice
1. Everyone was moaning about just missing by a certain point or half point, which reminded me of my mum when she doesn't win at bingo by one number .lol
2 .90% of the competitors where women of a certain age ..lol

I watch the tracking from a distance and the control and scale/jumps pretty close...
In trials you have to gain 70% of the available marks in each section and obtain 80% of the total in order to qualify for a CoM.

So the minimum mark to qualify in UD/WD Open for example is 160/200.

What some participant focus on is the .5 mark which they missed rather than look at the bigger picture, if you got 159 instead of 160 you actually failed by 41 points, not just 1!

The majority of all dog sports are made up of middle aged women as they have the disposable income and time to devote to them.

I thought you might have been at Three Shire Schutzhund trial today and watch the West Herts Working Trial tomorrow.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
In trials you have to gain 70% of the available marks in each section and obtain 80% of the total in order to qualify for a CoM.

So the minimum mark to qualify in UD/WD Open for example is 160/200.

What some participant focus on is the .5 mark which they missed rather than look at the bigger picture, if you got 159 instead of 160 you actually failed by 41 points, not just 1!

The majority of all dog sports are made up of middle aged women as they have the disposable income and time to devote to them.

I thought you might have been at Three Shire Schutzhund trial today and watch the West Herts Working Trial tomorrow.
If i was aware of it i would have done ...lol

I re read the post you mentioned the events in and never noticed the 3 shires event till now ...DoH!!!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Totally wish I could drive, or knew someone locally who does WT as I would definitely love to spectate at some point!
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

31-03-2012, 09:00 PM
WT is probably not the best spectator sport tbh

At first it seemed a bit like forumla 1 - until you know what's happening and you've had a shot you don't really get it (not that I've had a shot of an f1 car....)...
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Totally wish I could drive, or knew someone locally who does WT as I would definitely love to spectate at some point!
I seemed to be the only local amongst the folks i spoke to ..
Hope they all had enough petrol to get home .lol
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Yeah... I did some googling and found a local lady who used to do WT... dunno if she still does... and that's a HUGE ask if she still does, to invite myself along if or when she goes to an event! and pick me up en route as the council has cut all the buses.... impossible!

I hope so too....
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

01-04-2012, 08:02 AM
There can be a lot of travel involved. However in Scotland you can trial approx once per month to two ot only months. There's couple quite close to home for me, two or three about an hours drive away.

In the trials I attend there's quite a few people I see often and about 10-20% I do not know and who are not local (but for this purpose I would call 'local' Scotland!)

In the future I'd love to buy a caravan so when I'm at a trial a bt further away from home I can make a weekend of it.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2012, 08:48 AM
I would have been at the Three Shires if it hadnt have been for my "dear father in law"
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
I forget i live in the SHIRES sometimes so when i see things like 3 shires written down i don't put the 2 together ..lol
Only been here 4 years so that my excuse ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >