View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Soft smart collar alternative to elizabethan collar after op any good?

Hi all
Has anyone used these after dog has had an op? wondering if it's worth getting one for Mya after her spay?
softe smart collar
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-su...-collar-p-4111
Or comfy collar
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-su...-collar-p-2535
Hope it's ok to put these links
Tracy x
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-10-2011, 04:15 PM
I have tried both on Star and they did not work as well as the plastic collar. Even then I had to use the comfy collar and plastic collar to stop her getting to her stitches.

The blue soft collar is very flexable and Star could crush it to reach her stitches. Although it was more comfortable for night time sleeping.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 04:41 PM
I had the blue soft collar for Ruby while she was having all her ops.She wore that while I was up & about but as Carole said they are easily squishable so she had to use the normal bustacollar on a nighttime when I was sleeping so she didn't pull at all her wounds x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 04:48 PM
That comfy one looks like a tire's stuck round the model's head I'd just go with a plastic one, maybe put some padding on the inside to make it a big comfier?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 05:20 PM
I use the comfy collar to stop Rupert licking at hotspots on his back legs, works well for that. Absolutely useless for any front leg injuries though. Rupe gets horribly depressed with one of the big plastic collars on so I prefer to use the comfy collar where possible.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 05:36 PM
I got comfy collar for Amber (cat) & she had no trouble whatsoever reaching her stitches. Had to resort back to the plastic one - she was apt at getting it off as well! Managed to get it off on 9th day & removed her stitches when i turned to answer the phone. Vet said she had did a very good job!!

Seriously tho the plastic ones seem best. Our kitten is being spayed at end Oct - very anxious time . Always different when its one of your own....,
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 07:11 AM
ok thanks, will just stick to the plastic one from the vets then. I have a t-shirt that I've tried on her that fits her well so I'll try that first and any messing she will have to have the cone on. I'll have to have double eyes to make sure Fred doesn't try to remove them either
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 01:43 PM
I used the comfy collar on both of mine after neutering. One was no use but two on at once were ideal & solved the problem that Boyo couldn't get through doors with the Elizabethan collar without jarring himself & wrecking my paintwork.
For a front leg or chest injury I found a long sleeved t-shirt was the only answer though.