Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Dog constantly shedding?

I have a buhund, which being from Norway, has a very dense, short/medium length double coat.

I use a Ferminator on her which is great, but despite this, she has been constantly shedding for around the last 4 months. She's 1 year old, and shed all through winter and is still going. I thought they were only meant to shed twice a year.. how long for?
The ferminators really good, but when I overuse it, it razors off some of the top coat, even though she's still moulting :/

I went in to the groomers and they let me try out some other brushes but none of them got anything out.

I hoover massive amounts of hair every day even though I'm grooming! Is this beyong seasonal shedding or is it normal?

I use a soft brush too, but it doesnt seem to do anything! Are there any other brushes I should use?

Thanks
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm getting lots of hair off my two at the moment as well (both double-coated breeds), I could probably hoover 3 times a day and still there'd be hair left around.
One thing that has helped is adding salmon oil to their food daily (as opposed to every once in a one)
I groom them daily with a brush that has both soft bristles and plastic-coated pins on it which seems to help catch the loose hair up and I can then bin it straight away, rathern than be hoovering it up off the floor later.
There's a saying about German Shepherds that rings true - that they only moult once a year, but it lasts 365 days

Excessive hairloss can be a symptom of a health issue though so if you're really concerned about it then a vet trip may put your mind at ease.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 02:26 PM
So it's normal then. (It's not excessive..just unstoppable) We have a bernese who seems to shed less and he's huge!

I will have a look in to one of those brushes.. I just wonder with the coat being quite short whether it will work as well as on a GSD.

'There's a saying about German Shepherds that rings true - that they only moult once a year, but it lasts 365 days' ... Very true
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 02:39 PM
I use the same brush on Kiki who's a GSD x Rottie, with the short Rottweiler coat, and it works well. The soft bristles trap the loose hair and the pins massage the skin which is supposed to promote healthy skin/coat anyway.
I think this is the brush, the picture is wrong but the description sounds right
http://www.farmway.co.uk/pet-1/dog-3...upine-3566.htm
"The porcupine dog brush has hard bristles to reduce tangles and matts from the undercoat and soft bristles to remove loose hairs"
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Thats good to know it works on shorter coats too. I just saw the mikki porcupine brush on the pah website so will have a look at it when I'm next in.

Do you think by the time the summer starts the majority of the shedding should have stopped or would it be normal for it to continue right through?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 02:46 PM
just a thought if you have heating on alot? or air conditioning? because having things like this knock the natural cycle out a bit...
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 02:49 PM
well where I live is very hot.. (even though its England!!), I live in a house with 6 glazed windows in the main room which seem to act like a greenhouse, so it does get so hot that we had to install an air con unit.

will this be having any detrimental effects?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 02:51 PM
not any detriemental as such. alot of dogs dont shed how they would naturally, because people either have heating on full whack in winter, when the dog should have a thick winter coat, it will then shed because the house is so warm etc.. and then when its meant to be shedding that winter coat, people put air con on so its cooler.. nothing bad as such, just the natural cycle of hair loss/gain isnt winter/summer as it would be naturally.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Well I guess that would make sense to why all year round the coat is shedding. Maybe also as a northern breed the climate is hotter than how they would live in their native norway.

I'll just keep on brushing and hoovering!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 02:57 PM
OP what do you feed your dog?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >