Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Does your dog have Epilepsy?

If so say so in here - it's always nice having a support group, of people who know what you're going through
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Yes but not as such and not 'normal' fits. He hasn't had one for several years now and is on 90mgs of epiphem (phenobarb) twice a day.

He fitted whilst running.

rune
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Yes, my dog was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy when he was around 15 months old or so. He's 6 now. Medication wise, we manage it with potassium bromide twice daily and rectal diazepam for when he has fits.

His fits come in clusters, so when he suffers a cluster, he has a grand mal fit every few hours (it can be less than an hour) for around 36 hours or so. Then he has the post-ictal period where he is not himself at all. The whole cluster from start to being back to normal can take around a week. He used to have clusters very frequently (every few weeks) and he went into something we would call status epilepticus twice and we thought we'd lose him.

However, since adjusting his diet things improved and his record now is more than a year without having clusters.

We feed raw meat and bones, fish, canned fish, eggs, some fruit and veg etc. but no grains whatsoever (including wheat, rice, oats etc.) - no dairy either (apart from a spoonful of additive-free ice cream before bed). I'd be reluctant to state it was the diet that has really worked but things have improved so much that I would not change anything now.

He has regular check ups and so far so good - he is extremely healthy and does not seem to show any side effects to the bromide.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Rocky's epileptic, having had his first fit when he was around 7 months old. I still remember it clearly, I thought he was dying! We put him on Epiphen and after about a year of experimenting with dosage he's been fit free for about 5 years. He's on 2 x 60mg twice a day - although we are going to try weaning him off it now he's 7 years old (starting off by 1 tablet in the morning two in the evening).

Can I think of any triggers/causes? I'm not sure if it's connected but the day he had his first fit I had bought him one of those giant tennis balls (thinking there's no way he'll destroy this! ) - and after an hour or so he bust it and may have eaten a bit (it was in a few pieces). I remember how much it smelt - really chemically/toxic! Who knows what kind of chemicals go in these pet toys? After that I decided to be much more careful in which toys I got him.

Other possible causes? He was given his second set of jabs while he had runny poos. I've always been told inoculations should only be given to a fit healthy puppy - I did ask the vet if it would be ok and he said yes. Another thing I wish had gone differently.

The only other possible cause I can think of is him drinking from the river - we have a river at the bottom of our garden and he loved playing in it... and often drank from it. It was impossible trying to stop him so I just let him thinking it would be 'ok'.

Guess we'll never know, but my money is on the tennis ball - the smell once it had been 'cracked open' really was awful.

Anyway, the epilepsy hasn't really stopped him from living - and I'm very grateful we've had so many years with him. If your dog is diagnosed with epilepsy, don't give up - give the drugs a try as they're very effective these days
Baileysmum32
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Mine does and I've posted a thread please read and reply if you can I'd like some advice. Posted today it's title: epilepsy advice. Thankyou
Baileysmum32
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Hi we've had our bulldog for 3.5 years she's now 4.8 years old she has suffered with epilepsy for 3 years. She has been controlled with 4x 60mg epiphen a day and 1x 245mg libromide a day. Quite high dosage. Up until last week she hadnt had a fit since August 2012 BUT she does suffer from facial twitches. Does anyone else's dog suffer from this?
Last Tuesday she had 13 single fits from 7:15am- 2am weds. (She ranges from clusters to single this time literally single fits) she ended up in out of hours vets when fits were down to 30minytes apart and had introvenus epiphen and diazepam. She definitely isn't reacting to diazepam like she used to. We upped the epiphen to 6 a day for 4 days then down to 5 since Sunday (still with 1 libromide a day). Sunday night she started gurning - her bottom jaw going side to side. Fit about 5 minutes near pill time. This has decreased over the week but she's still occasionally twitching. The thing is she hates the twitches as she paws at her face and yawns or smacks lips together. Does anyone know if this could be side effect to pills or part of epilepsy! Thanks
Baileysmum32
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Ps possible causes we've come up with from logging diary entries are: around the full moon and when atmospheric pressure changes especially when goes low to high! Fright eg around bonfire night def always a cause and raised temperature down to simple missed pills if she's dropped out side of mouth etc! Or found in water bowl after breakfast sometimes!!
We didn't get on with libromide it literally flushed her out and if she has mg more than the 1 tablet a day our kitchen is swimming with wee!!!
But like all above you wouldn't know bailey had epilepsy on day to day basis she's the most fun loving excitable energetic dog and considering she's an English bulldog she loves her walks! 9 miles in Scotland last summer!!!
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Molly had her first fit last June. She had been in kennels for 2 weeks while we where on honeymoon, then my daughter picked her up and took her home to my house for 4 days with them ( and Nudge) until I got home.
She had been out for a walk, got home, into utility as normal. Daughter was upstairs doing something and heard Nudge making a fuss, came down to see, and found Mol in full seizure type activity.
Promptly panicked, but got it together and got her to the vet, had a few bloods etc but nothing showed up.
She isn't medicated, has had one more full blown fit and seems now to have focal seizures occasionally.
So now I just keep an eye on her, I don't think being in kennels had anything to do with it, but might not put her in for so long again.
She turned 8 on the 2nd of April, and is a happy, healthy and well exercised dog, just hope she stays that way for many more years.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

11-04-2013, 05:43 PM
My Loki took her first fit a month before her first birthday. Never having had a dog before in my life, I got the fright of my life. Took her to the vet and blood tests taken. Told it was epilepsy. Got Phenobarb for her - mild dose to start with but her fits became clusters and she took 39 fits in two days and I had to have her hospitalised. About 4 months later, more bad blusters and about 36 fits in two days again - got her hospitalised.

She is now on 4 x 60 mgs of Phenobarbs and 1 Potassium Bromide. She gets 2 x 60 mgs of the Pheno in the morning and 2 in the evening, the Potassim Bromide I give her in the mornngs. I also give her a Milk Thistle capsule to counteract any damage to her liver - all thanks to the help of both June (Tawneywolf) and Lyn (Lucky Star). Both gave me excellent advice. Loki is now 7.

It is the Grand Mal fits she has.
Baileysmum32
New Member!
Female 

11-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Brandykins. How much is the milk thistle? I spend £50 a month on pheno and libromide! Baileys not insured as ran out after first year and that was when she fit so guessed right no one will touch her re epilepsy!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >