View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 03:28 PM
two of mine catch their own, but neither bother with "mouldy manky bunny in field"
jeromelo
New Member!
Male 

25-02-2011, 11:45 PM
I feed whatever is a good deal. For the evening meal it's only RMB. I buy organic chicken necks in a 40lb box, whole chicken leg quarters, beef rib bones with meat, Lamb bones, turkey wings and necks.

For early meal I get the Cuisinart out and shave potatoes and carrots, mix with eggs, ground chicken backs, peas & flax seed sometimes rolled oats. I do a 30-50 lb. batch and wrap in 8 oz. portions and throw in the deep freeze.

I wouldn't be able to do to this economicaly without the deep freezer.
Nuttywithit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!! This thread is EXACTLY what I needed!!! I will be visiting the butcher in the morning!! My dogs are going RAW!! And I WAS right when I thought I remembered my Grandmother putting in an egg with the mince for her dogs!

One question though, I've been brought up to believe that chicken bones can do damage to a dog's throat. Reading this it seems that this is incorrect? Should I be giving them chicken bones? I have a Yorkie/Jack Russell and a GSD puppy.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 08:05 AM
RAW chicken bones and other bones are fine. You should NEVER give cooked bones of any sort (chicken especially dangerous) as they can splinter. However raw is fine
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 08:30 AM
As above, raw bones are fine. With a large breed like the GSD, one thing to be careful of is if your dog bolts down bones without chewing them - then smaller bones like chicken necks can pose a choking hazard. My GSD and Rottie x do get chicken necks on occasions but they're always supervised to make sure they chew them, and I tend to feed them frozen in a block of 3-4 necks so they have to crunch them up. Bigger bones like whole chicken carcasses, lamb/beef ribs, etc. may be better for the GSD if they don't get the hang of chewing small bones, but as a puppy you can teach him/her to by holding one end of the bone so they have to chew it up.
Nuttywithit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Thank you for that advice. I had a greyhound who could go from lying flat out on the floor to out through an opening door in .2 of a second!! He loved the chicken carcasses in neighbours rubbish bags more than the cats did and it was always a worry to me. Mind you, he also ate a whole carrier bad FULL of chocolate and had nothing more than the runs for a couple of days!! Chocoholic dog that one and I KNOW that chocolate is very harmful for dogs, but you couldn't tell him that!!!
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 05:48 PM
QUESTION!!!!

Using this raw guide, how many g of veg mix and raw meat/fish would you give an adverage (say 7 kilos?) Jack Russell?

Thank you!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
QUESTION!!!!

Using this raw guide, how many g of veg mix and raw meat/fish would you give an adverage (say 7 kilos?) Jack Russell?

Thank you!
Basing on "prey model" you'd give 2-3% of his weight, so feeding 140-210g a day (if 7kg was his ideal weight, not over/underweight). 80% meat, so 112-168g meat and 10% bone and offal, so 14-21g of each bone and offal (so 28-42g in total). Prey model doesn't tend to include veg as a staple part of the diet but lots of prey model feeders include green tripe into the diet.
This is a rough guide and you may find your dog needs more/less of each component to keep his weight stable and his poos a firm (but not too firm) consistancy
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2011, 08:10 AM
I do feed raw but I'm a bit careful with bones.I think especially with greedy eaters size of bone is best suited to size of dog.I don't give chicken necks to my boxer they have caused colitis on a couple of occasions but I have given chicken backs daily for a long time with no problems.I give her beef neck bones with some meat still on to give her jaws a workout and cleans her teeth but I don't leave her with it for too long about 15 mins. as eating to much chipped hard bone can compact in the digestive system.Some dogs digest bone better than others it's a bit of trial and error like anything else.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Just another point on the view that raw feeding is best. Once food has been cooked the chemical stucture is altered and enzymes are damaged making it harder to digest.A dog that is allergic to a food in cooked or processed form may be able to tolerate the same food in it's natural raw state.
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »