View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2013, 02:28 PM
I do not get too bothered about them not eating raw when they are on holiday if necessary any more than I would concern myself about my children stuffing themselves with sugar etc overload at birthday, Halloween or Christmas parties (or me)

I figure if my dogs are eating raw 350+ days of the year, a few days of eating something else is not going to kill them.

You can get away with keeping dog food frozen for quite some time if you use a coolbox and newspaper and it will gradually thaw safely over a few days as long as you are happy feeding it whilst frozen.

I also feed tinned pilchards/mackeral with a raw egg.

But I always keep a sack of Orijen (grain free food) which is about as good as kibble is going to get for if I run out etc.

The dogs have always been happy with this.

I think a sense of perspective is healthy, after all, if they were staying at the vets etc they would not be eating raw either.
zoeshuman
New Member!
Female 

02-02-2013, 03:18 PM
new to the board and I apologise for the quick post without reading all the replies but I recently started feeding my dog raw and there was too much info so my vet recommended this book and I just stick to it - VERY SIMPLE -
http://honeysrealdogfood.com/book.php

I know there are a lot of different opinions on different styles of raw feeding but I think its best to get comfortable with one system first. We've been raw for about 6 mths on this book and doing fine. My dog is about 9 years old and prior to going raw I bought her expensive dry food - either Symply or Royal Canin

p.s. It helps if you have a chest freezer
LubeyLou
New Member!
Female 

21-10-2013, 10:07 PM
This is a great thread, I'm a few pages in and plan to read up on a couple of pages a day, Not enough time in a day to read any more.
I think that raw is the way to go. I'm working towards going raw myself, having read up on it for a couple of years. I eat a partly raw diet at the moment and I'm much better for it already.

It just makes sense for people and animals. It is what nature intended after all.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by enola05 View Post
A question for those of you that feed raw. What do you do when you go on holiday? We tend to do cottage holidays which, in theory would be fine but if there's a 3 or 4 hour drive to get there how do you keep it fresh / frozen? Also we usually go camping at least once a year sans fridge or freezer.

Any ideas / suggestions would be welcome as I'd really like to put our 9 week older Border Terrier pup, Willow, onto a raw diet.

Thank you
There are dehydrated food available for when you go camping or holiday. Also having a cooler packed with ice and putting in the portions already frozen would be perfectly fine for the 3-4 hours drive.
houndish1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2013, 06:01 AM
Hi all, I have a question about the bacteria topic with raw. I always make sure surfaces, bowls and such are cleaned. But what about my dog? He's a snuggler and I just worry that he may pass bacteria to me or my kids. Is this possible? I've read the entire thread and haven't come across an answer to this one.

Do I need to brush his teeth and wash his face after? His nose?

Thanks in advance!
Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 9 10 11 12