register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which food do you feed?
Purina Pro Plan 2 1.27%
Pedigree Professional 0 0%
James Wellbeloved 21 13.38%
Arden Grange 18 11.46%
Orijen 15 9.55%
other 114 72.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 9 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I'm on my 14th year of feeding Arden Grange here!!
Becky
So I guess you think its good or at least your dogs do.

Well Kirk has had two of the free samples they sent to me plus his green tripe, so fingers crossed.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Think my dogs are a bit spoilt really as today husband asked if he could have the same as them! They had trout for a treat as I got it reduced so as cheap as kibble. Nice for them to have a change sometimes, must be boring eating kibble all the time.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
So I guess you think its good or at least your dogs do.

Well Kirk has had two of the free samples they sent to me plus his green tripe, so fingers crossed.
Yes I do, pups do brilliantly on it!!
Becky
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2011, 05:54 PM
I feed my dogs on home cooked food about 40% meat, chicken,mincemeat,turkey etc and then about 30% veg (anything but not onions, or garlic - even though a small amount of garlic is supposed to be good to keep fleas away. Then 30% of brown rice or potatoes. or sweet potatoes or a mixture of all. They also have fish once a week, eggs a few times a week raw or cooked. I also add brewers yeast, egg shells crushed into a powder, salmon oil, and a multi vitamin. I have spent a long time on the internet reading up on homemade diets but still worry i might not be doing the right thing. After reading up on what is actually in dog foods i feel i have no choice. My german shepherd started refusing to eat dry food and would only eat it when she was really hungry.She lost a lot of weight and you could see her ribs. I have now been feeding her homemade food for the last two months and she looks so much better. She is a good weight now and her coat is lovely. And she adores her food and doesn't leave it till its empty.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 06:12 PM
I feed mine a raw diet which is different to cooked but I'd imagine that its similar in the way that you would need to provide variety. I'd say make sure to feed some offal and liver now and again too.

Good to hear how her condition has come on. Its interesting to see that the big brands arent as strong (here) as you'd think (in the poll)

After feeding raw or cooked I think its hard to imagine just feeding dry biscuits/kibbles or canned again really (when you see how much they enjoy it) but I realise that home cooked/raw isn't for everyone...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 06:50 PM
I started home cooking for Zena this week coz of her sickness bout, and to see the way she woofs it down made me realise she's fed up with kibble!! I boil chicken, with some potatoes thrown in and some carrots and brocolli, but I've already deboned the chicken before cooking, so she gets chicken casserole most days now and Georgie has the stock heated up on his dry kibble and again, that is now woofed down much quicker!

I worry about the vits and minerals missing from my home cooking, so I do give her the F4D kibble in the evenings before bed, just a small handful, but it's not her main food anymore.

I reverted back to raw for Georgie, but he didn't do so well on it, he got the squits (it was only mince which had been frozen first), so he's back on the kibble.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2011, 07:03 PM
I also did consider raw food as i am sure that must be the ultimate best food for a dog and i sometimes give her raw mince meat and raw egg. Also raw carrot grated. I went to the butchers for the first time and asked if i could buy some raw bones for my dog. They gave me a bag full but when i got home and looked in the bag i nearly threw up, it wasn't a nice sight and i couldn't face giving her them, suppose its not for everyone but pretty sure she would have liked them and got a lot of nutritional value from them. I suppose i will just have to stick to my half teaspoon of crushed eggshells for the calcium. Bit worried about the teeth though , maybe i could buy bones that didn't look so much like a dead animal even though i know thats what it is.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 07:07 PM
If she could get the bones I do think it would be good for her teeth and minerals but maybe just as an outside treat in the garden? Weight bearing bones can be a bit hard though, ribs are maybe better to start with.

If you buy flank (beef, lamb or mutton) its more like a bit meat/fat and the bones are inside.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks Dobermann , i will try asking for those kind of bones. Maybe i will try a different butchers too as when i was asking if he had any good offcuts of meat for my dogs , his reply was "its only a dog i feed mine on bakers which you can get from the supermarket." this really suprised me as he must be able to get really cheap meat for his dogs with working there. I try to add a bit of liver, offal twice a week mixed in with her chicken or mince meat but shes not mad keen on it will try some different ones.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Kodimeg

Have you read Dr Pitcairn's book or Wendy Volhard?

They both have home cooked diets, various.
Page 9 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 >