View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Any vegetable that is WHOLE cannot be digested by a dog. however if they are frozen, pulped or cooked they can add wholesome phytonutrients (mainly anti oxidants) to their diet which are unavailable from animal sources.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:08 AM
So just to clarify, it is safe to feed beef that has not been frozen?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Nothing in life is 100% safe!

I have fed unfrozen beef to my dogs for 10years.......... with NO health problems.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Nothing in life is 100% safe!

I have fed unfrozen beef to my dogs for 10years.......... with NO health problems.
Thanks xxxxxxxxxxx
JazzMan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Most of the chicken I feed is frozen, but that is more for convenience than safety, the tripe I feed is frozen for the same reason. Any mince I feed (lamb or beef) comes straight off the supermarket shelves and it has never been an issue for me.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:28 AM
There is a small risk re neospora caninum but as I have often said, nothing in life is risk free...........
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Dexter gets raw beef mince and also chunks, but not too often as it is very rich and he seems to do better on raw chicken and turkey. So far I've fed it straight from the supermarket, but interesting to read what TARIMOOR says about it needing to be frozen first...

I've just made my first order of 'Prize Choice' raw meats so the next lot will be frozen

Re Orijen: surely the most expensive dry food there is?

If you want to feed a good kibble (if that term is not a contradiction in itself) then have you tried Fish4Dogs...? Dexter has this and it's really made a difference to his energy level and his coat which is now so lovely we've even had compliments at the park
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 09:55 AM
There are hundreds of brands out there, but Orijen is in a class by itself.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 10:12 AM
I bought some orijen samples and did a taste test with my boy and i have never seen kibble disappear so fast! He actually choose the orijen over his favourite treat of asda beef mince (he doesnt get it often as regular beef makes him itch?) and it was hardest to get his head out of the 'Red' version bag

it gets 3 michelin stars in our house! (i tasted it and it gets the thumbs up from me too! )

By adding what you suggest i dont think you would be improving on the orijen formula and would be wasting money that you could be saving to buy your next bag of it
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by JazzMan View Post
Raw carrot is a case in point, many people recommend this as a healthy alternative to commercial dental chews to clean dogs teeth, however, as dogs are carnivores they cannot digest the carrot and (speaking from personal experience here) it does come back out again pretty much just as it went in.

Does it clean your dogs teeth, yes but not as well as a meaty bone. Does it provide you dog with fibre, yes but the fibre is not needed so just goes straight through. Does it provide any nutritional benefit for your dog, without a doubt, no it doesn't.
I give my dogs raw carrots - or rather they steal it from the bunny veg rack - they've had no problems digesting it The only thing I've ever seen come out the back looking the same as it went in was brown rice...
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >