View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2009, 06:50 PM
can I ask which lines he is...he's lovely!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 07:17 AM
[QUOTE=ajshep1984;1636253]They're not working in a show ring though.

[QUOTE]

no but the show ring works on the breed standard which is ,in your dogs case,describes a working dog capable of herding sheep and as it has been explained a high carried tail is a disadvantage.
I'm afraid to me you sound like a disgruntled ex-shower who didn't do as well as expected and likes to blame the judges/show scene rather than except that their dog has faults?
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
no but the show ring works on the breed standard which is ,in your dogs case,describes a working dog capable of herding sheep and as it has been explained a high carried tail is a disadvantage.
I'm afraid to me you sound like a disgruntled ex-shower who didn't do as well as expected and likes to blame the judges/show scene rather than except that their dog has faults?
Dogs aren't working in the ring though, it's as simple as that and I'm not going to train him into a behaviour I don't see as desirable all in the name of a breed standard that really doesn't reflect a working border collie anyway. Flying their tail in the show ring doesn't mean they won't drop it when faced with a flock of sheep or anything else they come to see as "work".

I am a disgruntled "ex-shower" but not because of that, he was only shown as a pup where they're lenient with the flying tails so he did get placed, the reason I stopped showing has nothing to do with him flying his tail. I fully accept that my dog has faults which is why I don't intend to breed or offer him at stud. Ironically, the reasons I've chosen not to breed him would be completely overlooked in the show ring.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2