View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
need4speed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2006, 10:49 AM

Health Testing- are some breeders 'cutting corners'?

I've chosen my dogs from breeders who do all health tests, i notice though that some breeders only do the widely available ones or the most common ones. In border collies there is now a CL test available, its not common is ISDS lines but it has been known of why do people not have these tests done. If its offered surely they should jump at the chance at another thing that can be tested for. Also with hip-scores i have noticed people using higher and higher dogs, why do people want to breed from these dogs when there are dogs with lower hip scores around. The more i look into the more i realise it is some of the bigger named breeders that are cutting corners and some of the smaller ones with just a few dogs sit and take time research and do it properly. I really do think the kennel club should not allow dogs to be registered without ALL health tests done and they must be clear/within the adverage etc.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 01:07 PM
I think any breeder that really cares about the breed will screen for all,and some times the choice is down to what the owner of a bitch is looking for,with the kennel club some screening can't be done until the dogs are at a certain age so i don't think that will ever play a part in the registration process unfortunatly.
Breeders can place endorsments on registration papers though,so that the off spring can't be registered with the kc,until the bitch has fullfilled certain requirments,that the breeder has set out such has health screening,breed standard conformation etc..
Sal
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi I think you will find that there are a large number of BC breeders that have done both the DNA tests that are available for the breed and there is an online lists of results which responsible breeders have made public. The Southern Border Collie Club regularly holds Optigen 20/20 clinics for CEA and CL although the Animal Health trust can now test for CL aswell.
My own BC's are DNA normal for CEA and CL.

Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 09:37 PM
This is a matter for the purchaser, if they think that a responsible breeder should test for every available problem then they should only buy from those who test to the standard the purchaser requires.
need4speed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2006, 01:15 AM
but why would these breeders not want to use these tests that are available, why would a purchaser pick a breeder who health tested say 3 out of 4 tests available when there are breeders who health test all the available tests.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 06:34 AM
There could be a good reason, I don't know why, some people do not vaccinate their dogs or their children some don't take advantage of available tests but think you would need to ask the breeders who do as you are suggesting to find out why, and with purchasers it is probably a case of not researching properly before buying a puppy.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2006, 09:51 AM
It's the same with Cavaliers I know that top breeders are not MRI scanning because they do not want to know ! as of course it would hit their sales of pet puppies

Very suspicious is an over 3 year top winning dog that has no puppies in the ring. This dog was bred by someone who breeds from their dogs very early(bitches on first season dogs under a year etc)but this dog apaarently been used & he has lines to known producers of SHM They have bred from other related dogs so why not him ? Could be he has SHM or has produced affected dogs & they are keeping quiet so they don't lose money on selling their pets. I've had hate mail because I went public that Lou has asymptomatic SHM putting people off using his brother at stud(their father had SHM & obviously their mother is a carrier so his brother must be a carrier & could be affected like Lou)& making his brother & mothers owners look bad !!!!!!

My Rjj comes from over 30 years of CEA clear dogs & yet is a carrier No big deal as he will never have CEA(he's CL clear BTW)& could be used on a clear bitch. But I've had hateful anon E mails from people saying I should have kept quiet ! & not had him done as he was screened clear of CEA at 6 weeks !
need4speed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
It's the same with Cavaliers I know that top breeders are not MRI scanning because they do not want to know ! as of course it would hit their sales of pet puppies

Very suspicious is an over 3 year top winning dog that has no puppies in the ring. This dog was bred by someone who breeds from their dogs very early(bitches on first season dogs under a year etc)but this dog apaarently been used & he has lines to known producers of SHM They have bred from other related dogs so why not him ? Could be he has SHM or has produced affected dogs & they are keeping quiet so they don't lose money on selling their pets. I've had hate mail because I went public that Lou has asymptomatic SHM putting people off using his brother at stud(their father had SHM & obviously their mother is a carrier so his brother must be a carrier & could be affected like Lou)& making his brother & mothers owners look bad !!!!!!

My Rjj comes from over 30 years of CEA clear dogs & yet is a carrier No big deal as he will never have CEA(he's CL clear BTW)& could be used on a clear bitch. But I've had hateful anon E mails from people saying I should have kept quiet ! & not had him done as he was screened clear of CEA at 6 weeks !
I dont see a problem with dogs being carriers as it does not effect them and if put to a clear they will not produce any affected pups.

I was talking to someone who has just bred a litter of pups now about 3wks old and she decided not to CL test untill it was more widely available Which realistically i think means more available and cheaper. A awful lot of ISDS breeders dont hip score and most come out with the excuse oh the parents have worked for years so dont need scoring :smt021 what a stupid excuse.

Also had another breeder say to me i wont need to eye test the pups because they are not white factored another stupid excuse i think.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by need4speed
I dont see a problem with dogs being carriers as it does not effect them and if put to a clear they will not produce any affected pups.
The pups may not be affected but they may be carriers and if mated to another carrier the problem will reappear. And novice breeders are not always well enough informed to realise what may happen.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 03:41 PM
My sophie has SHM in her background its a very tight line breeding behind dad she has been spayed but if she hadn't then i would have MRI scanned if i were to have bred from her

I would scan any dog if i felt the background was a problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >