Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rjordan393
New Member!
Male 

09-10-2019, 08:10 AM

Urine Problem

First a little history: I have a female beagle that is estimated to be 6 to 7 years old.
She is an adoptee. I do not have a yard so I take her out to do her business four times a day, starting at 7am, 12 pm, 5pm and 9 pm. Two of these times, I take her for a walk.
I have had the dog since mid August. During the first 3 weeks, she had two accidents which I believe were caused by being confused by her new surroundings. She was fed on quality can dog food up to end of September.
I decided dry food by the same manufacturer would be better because it would be much lighter then carrying 31 cans each month.
I think this may be a mistake because now my beagle is urinating indoors sometime between 10 pm to 12 am.
I do not discover this until the following morning most of the time.
So has anyone experience this when they changed from can food to dry food?
Her shots are up to date and she had a complete checkup by the vet. However, she had parasites in her feces and was treated twice and I was supposed to get a report to see if they were gone and I'll have to go back to the vet to get it.
rjordan393
New Member!
Male 

09-10-2019, 01:06 PM
There is one clue I overlooked. My dog is drinking more water. I suspect the dry food is causing this. I will try a couple can's dog food and see what happens. The dry food does swell up and maybe causing discomfort. I was measuring it based on her weight and age.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-10-2019, 01:45 PM
She may have a urine infection might be worth getting a sample to the vet to be tested.
Dry food will make her drink more.
rjordan393
New Member!
Male 

09-10-2019, 02:09 PM
That will be my next step if the can food does not solve the problem.
The problem started after I made the switch from can food.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2019, 05:16 AM
Do you moisten the dry food? We always recommended putting some water on dry food so that the kidneys weren't over worked. This should help with her drinking to much. Canned food has lots of moisture so dogs don't drink so much except in hot times and exercise. You could always limit the amount of drinking just before her bedtime. But as suggested get her checked for a uti. Or even cystitis.
rjordan393
New Member!
Male 

11-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Yes. I was adding water. I have been taking her water bowl away after she had her evening meal. I just started her back on can food with a handfull of dry food mix in. I will stop the dry food addition. I will give it a week to see if there is any improvement. I made a copy of your reply and will take it to the vet if the problem does not clear up. Thanks.
rjordan393
New Member!
Male 

13-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Update:

After 2 days on can food by "Blue Buffalo", there has been an improvement. She is drinking less water and had no urine accidents. Her stool is 3 times smaller then it was on dry food.
This tells me she is digesting her food much better.
She always got 6 oz per meal 2 times a day.
But I have a few more days to go before making a determination if the dry food was at fault.
But what I have read on the net about the Blue Buffalo company is not good. They rely on other companies to make their food. You will see this stated on their can food.
So this makes me wonder if these other companies are sourcing the ingrediants from foreign countries because when questioned where their ingrediants come from, the
questionaire got vaque answers.
So it appears I will be looking for a company that does make their own pet food or even make homemade food for my dog.
Here's a link that gives more information.
https://allamericanreviews.com/blue-buffalo/
rjordan393
New Member!
Male 

21-10-2019, 12:17 AM
Well it must have been the dry food. The problem has been eliminated. Quality control on Blue Buffalo dry food is suspect.
But their can food should be suspect also, even though my dog showed improvement, this company has other companies making their can food. So Blue Bufffalo does not control the quality of the ingrediants.
I decided to prepare home made meals for my pet.
She gets 3 ounces of meat per meal twice a day.
It will be either chicken, beef or pork.
Along with the meat, she gets 1-1/2 ounces of peas & carrots and 1-1/2 ounces of brown rice.
Now I do not have to worry about the quality of dog food plus I save $30.00 per month. I prepare a 31 day supply and place each meal in a small storage container and they are placed in a freezer. If there is excess meat, then it is also frozen for the following month.
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2019, 09:14 AM
Bless her.