Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I always put stuff in cold. What would be the point in using the slow cooker if I had to cook it first? I might as well just cook it normally. Pretty much everyone I know who uses one does the same.
Its not cookingit first its browning the meat and sealing in the flavours and juices.

I have alwasy done this too first if making a stew or casserole seal and brown first then put into casserole dish and into the oven it must be the old fashioned way and the way I was taught to cook at school and by my mum. In the case of stew done on the top of the cooker in a saucepan still brown meat first then add all other ingredients and leave to cook on low for a good few hours. Seems sealing in the flavours is a thing of the past now then.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Its not cookingit first its browning the meat and sealing in the flavours and juices.

I have alwasy done this too first if making a stew or casserole seal and brown first then put into casserole dish and into the oven it must be the old fashioned way and the way I was taught to cook at school and by my mum. In the case of stew done on the top of the cooker in a saucepan still brown meat first then add all other ingredients and leave to cook on low for a good few hours. Seems sealing in the flavours is a thing of the past now then.
Browning meat dry causes the Maillard Reaction, but in meat you are then going to stew or casserole is for appearance only, as any meat cooked in liquid, however little amount [as in a SC for example], you want the flavour of the meat to mingle with whatever else you put in the stew or casserole.

If all the flavour and juices are sealed into the meat, they cannot mingle, therefore you will end up with meat tasting of meat and vegetables tasting of vegetables, which defeats the main purpose of wanting a stew or casserole.

And even browned meat, if cooked long and slowly in said stew/casserole will lose its initial colouring, just as the vegetables will lose their initial colours.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Browning meat dry causes the Maillard Reaction, but in meat you are then going to stew or casserole is for appearance only, as any meat cooked in liquid, however little amount [as in a SC for example], you want the flavour of the meat to mingle with whatever else you put in the stew or casserole.

If all the flavour and juices are sealed into the meat, they cannot mingle, therefore you will end up with meat tasting of meat and vegetables tasting of vegetables, which defeats the main purpose of wanting a stew or casserole.

And even browned meat, if cooked long and slowly in said stew/casserole will lose its initial colouring, just as the vegetables will lose their initial colours.
Malka you don't brown the meat dry you literally just colour it maybe thats where its going wrong for some people who do it this way. If you toss it in some plain flour as well before gently browning it also helps to thicken the gravy.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Malka you don't brown the meat dry you literally just colour it maybe thats where its going wrong for some people who do it this way. If you toss it in some plain flour as well before gently browning it also helps to thicken the gravy.
Sorry Lynn - I worded that incorrectly

I meant brown the meat by "dry" frying, ie not in any water. Grilling or roasting is also "dry" cooking". The Maillard Reaction, which causes the browning/colouring, is by applying heat directly to the meat.

The Maillard Reaction occurs when proteins in meat are heated to temperatures of 310°F [154°C] or higher, causing them to turn brown, sometimes called "caramelisation" [where carbohydrates like sugar turn brown when heated], or just "browning".

As an example, it is the Maillard Reaction that turns a slice of white bread into brown toast.
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2011, 11:21 AM
I've always browned meat first too. Most of my recipes call for stock, so that goes in hot too. Putting me in the mood for a slow cooked curry.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Sorry Lynn - I worded that incorrectly

I meant brown the meat by "dry" frying, ie not in any water. Grilling or roasting is also "dry" cooking". The Maillard Reaction, which causes the browning/colouring, is by applying heat directly to the meat.

The Maillard Reaction occurs when proteins in meat are heated to temperatures of 310°F [154°C] or higher, causing them to turn brown, sometimes called "caramelisation" [where carbohydrates like sugar turn brown when heated], or just "browning".

As an example, it is the Maillard Reaction that turns a slice of white bread into brown toast.
Ahhh gotcha. I don't dry fry.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 02:21 PM

I certainly wasn't going to stand there at 5am and brown meat to put in a stew or casserole It was bad enough having to peel and chop potatoes! At least my veggies were pre-sliced.

Might give it a try now that I don't have to get up in the middle of the night and see whether I can taste any difference.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I certainly wasn't going to stand there at 5am and brown meat to put in a stew or casserole It was bad enough having to peel and chop potatoes! At least my veggies were pre-sliced.

Might give it a try now that I don't have to get up in the middle of the night and see whether I can taste any difference.
Don't blame you Neither would I.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3