Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
With the amount of complaining some people do I think they should worry about their own hot air damaging the ozone.

There is far too much generalization in this thread and others like it. All the people who own trucks could say to sports car owners that they don't and can't use them for what they are intended...I.E what is the point in owning a car that can go so much faster than any speed limit when it's speed can never be utilized without danger and breaking the law. Or what's the point of a crotch rocket that can do 180mph.

If your worried about snobs owning 4x4's - a snob is a snob no matter what type of vehicle they choose to spend more money on, than the rest of us can - what's the difference if they are in a new model BMW or such like or a top of the range 4X4? They will STILL look down on you. A snob is irritating what ever method they use to flash their cash.

P.s: lol @ the taxing of cow farts [mentioned earlier]
I fully agree with you because like I said in post 114, most 4x4's are shorter and more economical than normal salon and estate cars.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm def gonna have to join this exclusive club by taking oh's out more often,then I can sit high up,look down my nose and wave to all the peasants, Only kidding, xxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
With the amount of complaining some people do I think they should worry about their own hot air damaging the ozone.

There is far too much generalization in this thread and others like it. All the people who own trucks could say to sports car owners that they don't and can't use them for what they are intended...I.E what is the point in owning a car that can go so much faster than any speed limit when it's speed can never be utilized without danger and breaking the law. Or what's the point of a crotch rocket that can do 180mph.

If your worried about snobs owning 4x4's - a snob is a snob no matter what type of vehicle they choose to spend more money on, than the rest of us can - what's the difference if they are in a new model BMW or such like or a top of the range 4X4? They will STILL look down on you. A snob is irritating what ever method they use to flash their cash.
P.s: lol @ the taxing of cow farts [mentioned earlier]
Totally agree with that one! Some are snobs, some are wannabe's. I really don't mind being looked down on if that's what they want to do, but if some of them would learn to drive (so they can park properly, obey the rules of the road and have a bit more courtesy) that would be a bonus! I probably wouldn't notice their lack of all of this if they were in something a bit smaller and insignificant, but when they're in my face in a great big tank it does get up my nose! So do a lot of things though, I'm one of those grumpy old women!
jenny tamworth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Malady the original post said Jeep Drivers hated why????

all i have posted is relevant to the original post, so what is your problem.

perhaps it is ok to insult me though

i am not alone in my opinion of 4x4's

quote from The Sunday times

There is an academic campaign to establish that 4x4s are unsafe. Students from Imperial College London have watched cars at key sites in the city and discovered that drivers of 4x4s are more likely not to wear seat belts, and to use mobile phones while driving. Other studies have shown that 4x4s are more dangerous to pedestrians. Car insurers have said that 4x4 drivers are 25% more likely to be involved in an accident and are also more likely to be at fault. Each fragment of evidence is turned into a screaming headline about the iniquity of 4x4s.

These cars have become emblems of all our environmental crimes. They represent 7.5% of the UK car market and 100% of British car loathing. The very idea that in town, or even in the country, anybody should use a car in which all four wheels are driven is regarded as a crime comparable to logging the rainforests or clubbing seals.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by jenny tamworth View Post

There is an academic campaign to establish that 4x4s are unsafe. Students from Imperial College London have watched cars at key sites in the city and discovered that drivers of 4x4s are more likely not to wear seat belts, and to use mobile phones while driving. Other studies have shown that 4x4s are more dangerous to pedestrians. Car insurers have said that 4x4 drivers are 25% more likely to be involved in an accident and are also more likely to be at fault. Each fragment of evidence is turned into a screaming headline about the iniquity of 4x4s.

These cars have become emblems of all our environmental crimes. They represent 7.5% of the UK car market and 100% of British car loathing. The very idea that in town, or even in the country, anybody should use a car in which all four wheels are driven is regarded as a crime comparable to logging the rainforests or clubbing seals.
You're certainly not! I think we should do our own poll on them and see what that shows up??? If I knew how to do one I would, but I don't!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-03-2008, 05:29 PM
I think the last paragraph says it all

same report
Last week's research was no better. Three locations in central London were chosen as a starting point for a driver behaviour study.
Students were positioned on three street corners, observing bad driving habits for an hour, three times a day. Now I hope these people will have been familiar with the eclectic mix of 4x4s, from the smallest Suzuki to the largest Range Rover. But somehow I doubt it.
The results claimed to show that 4x4 drivers wear their seat belts less and use their mobiles more while driving. Finally, in a giant leap of logic, researchers suggested 4x4 drivers must be over- compensating for driving safer cars. Guaranteed column inches.
I have no doubt that Imperial College is home to some serious researchers, doing very important medical work. But this would not seem to be the case here.
The approach to the research mirrors that used by many in the anti-car lobby, most notably the Alliance Against Urban 4x4s. In fact it seems so familiar that one starts to wonder whether the pressure group has someone working on the inside.
One thing has come from this. No longer are 4x4 haters hiding behind a cloak of poor design. The car is not the problem' it's you the driver. Not so much an issue of greener motoring as some pressure groups have claimed, more a question of green-eyed motoring.
The car is not the problem, it's you the driver. It's not about greener motoring, but being green-eyed
jenny tamworth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2008, 05:32 PM
no i have brown eyes, and no need to drive around town in a great big truck
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by jenny tamworth View Post

Never have I heard so much tripe in all my life.Talk about blame the 4x4's I for one would take all that cods wallop with a pinch of salt,xxxxxxxxxxx
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Some people on here are rude! So what if people want to have Range Rovers, just to drive to the shop? It's like questioning someone living in a big house when they have a small family or live alone. It's none of anyone else's business what car another person drives, mind your own business. If anyone tried to question me about my choice of car and why I need to drive it they'd get an up middle finger.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Mrs. S and I have decided to train all the local cows to fart into a compressor. We will transfer the result to a tank and use it to fuel a Humvee. Nobody will be able to pass that on these narrow roads!

Look out, Governator Schwarzenegger! Snorri is coming for you!

Snorri

Page 17 of 19 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 >