View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: 1, 2 or more?
1 - One dog at a time is plenty... 8 9.88%
2 - I like a pair of dogs... 31 38.27%
3+ - Life's not right without a pack... 42 51.85%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2009, 10:20 PM

1, 2 or more?

Just trying to gather some thoughts on how many dogs you prefer having at any one time. I'm hoping to have a dog soon after I'm married (June) but obviously as soon as we can afford/its practical.
I also plan to have kids in the future, and would like to be able to easily take my dog/s with me to people houses to visit, travel places as a family, etc.
We have a shortlist of dogs to test for an allergic reaction from my fiance, the main 2 being Airedale and Border Terrier. We've been thinking of 2 Airedales, 2 Borders, 1 of each would be nice perhaps as best of big and small worlds.

So, from your experience, which number have you preferred having most and why???
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2009, 10:41 PM
We have only ever had 2dogs at the same time and my parents and I enjoy that number, but i think when i move to my own home with my OH we will probably have 3.
I think the number you have depends on how you will cope, seeing as this will be you first time having a dog [???] Perhaps get one dog and leave it for a while, see how you and your husband get on with him/her then add another when you feel you have had enough time training and getting used to the first dog.
As long as you can afford potential veterinary treatments, food and proper care then the number doesnt really matter, as long as the dogs are getting everything they need.
Best of luck with your choice =]
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2009, 11:57 PM
I like having a pack but I think when i'm old and dithering I can see how it would be nice to be able to devote all your time and love to just one, I have been there with just the one and it's nice to be able to take one everywhere with you, when you have more it becomes more difficult to take them all at once and then you feel bad leaving others behind. People are usually quite accommodating of one and also includes friends, family, hotels, taxis, public transport. Easier to take one camping, easier to take one on holiday. Easier if you are going away to find a friend to look after one so you don't have to send him to kennels, cheaper to send him to kennels if do choose that option when away. Less bills, less training, less problems, no spats, less poop scooping, more space on the sofa, less hair about the place.

I think those of us with multiple dogs have so for different reasons so I could only say from my point of view. My dogs are like my family, I love looking after them and caring for them and training them e.t.c. I'm quite a maternal person in my nature, I like not so much mothering but looking after, I don't like to mollycoddle, so I would rather have dogs and cats than 10+ children. Raising them from pups and bonding with them, watching their personalities develop, each is unique and I have different bonds with each of them for different reasons. I just like giving them a happy life, I think they are pretty happy dogs and I enjoy the hustle and bustle it brings to have them, they make my house a home and they make it a family home. I do not like a quiet house, everything in it's place, pristine and gleaming and me sat in a rocking chair listening to the sound of the clock tick, that is my worst nightmare! I like to be busy and have things to do that I enjoy doing and then have everyone round in the evening and relax and start again the next day, I love that. I just love dogs anyway, anyones goes, I love the things they teach me about themselves, dogs in general, animals in general and about life.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Random has pretty much perfectly covered the way I also think/feel.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 01:01 AM
I have two at the moment, but we hope to find another dog to join the family in the next year as long as they get on, and you can cope with the day to day care, walking etc, I think most, though, not all dogs, love to have canine company. I echo what Random and others have said, I am used to the noise , and chaos, of kids, dogs, other pets, I love it! xx
minifoxies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2009, 01:38 AM
As a person who has had a pack before (german shepherds) and loved it I now feel that two are my limit now. Due to health reasons etc. It also has changed my life for the better and the dogs I can give them more quality time, care, food etc yes I would have to say two is my limit and I love it.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 06:59 AM
I'm a one at a time.
My choice of dog is always a rescue, so only having one means I could take a dog that might otherwise get overlooked. All my energy, love and training goes into making life special for that one.
I have found that taking one dog anywhere is relatively easy, whereas more than might not be so.
Also I know I can cope with all the bills for one: food, vet, classes, agility.
Sometimes I do think would the dog be better with a pal?
Given the choice of dog I rescue, it isn't usually the case.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Although I have had four, and currently have three, I voted for two, as that's the minimum. I don't think I could ever have just one.....
nikki_kev
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2009, 07:12 AM
I have two, bu that is only cos my flat isn't big enough to have any more or I would have a whole pack! lol

But when I go down to my parents they have three, so walking a pack of 5 is lovely!

x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Apart from my first dog (when I lived with my parents) I have always had 2 plus. I voted 3 plus because I have 3 and when Bruce is about 2/ 2.5 then I hope to get another. However Bruce has just opened the kitchen door and let the cats in (which I didn't want) so maybe I'll put him up to ''any takers'' and have 2
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »