Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chihuahualover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2007, 06:44 PM

Chips

Hey everybody...
I have a appointment for Mi Mi to get spade tomorrow, and I was offered the Chip that goes under the skin in case they get lost and it picks up a signal or something.... its a company called "home again" and they bring your dog back home I guess...? Its still not all clear to me.

Has anybody done this, and if so how is it working and whats the procedure, I was too nervous to ask this morning. they said they could do it while shes asleep.
Thanks, just wondering if this is something I should or
shouldn't do...
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 07:13 PM
I haven't personally heard of anything implanted in your dog that would pick up a signal while your dog is missing (like a car tracker would for example) & locate it (but sign me up for it if that is the case!). I think that what they are offering you is like our 'microchip'.

How a microchip in the UK works is that the chip (about the size of a grain of rice) is implanted under the skin & then, say for example, your dog gets lost & she's not wearing a collar with ID tag, any vets or rescue shelter can scan her & get her chip number & contact you. Obviously remember to keep the company updated if you move otherwise they won't be able to get hold of you.

If they are doing it while she is unconcious then even better. I've never actually seen it done (our dog was chipped before we got him) but I imagine it is a little uncomfortable for some dogs if the dog is concious.

Hope this answers some questions. Good luck for tomorrow.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-08-2007, 07:54 PM
As Majuka has said, it's not a transmitter. If your dog should get lost anyone who has the equipment can just 'scan' the animal and if the 'micro-chip' is on the dog the equipment will show who the owner is. Highly recommended and not expensive either.
chihuahualover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks, like I said, i had no idea what in the world it done or was. Where I live though, I dont see anybody having the thing to scan. We dont even have a dog pound or veterinarian unless we drive an hour and half away. I was real surprised at the cost! 10 dollars for activation, and 14 dollars for the chip!
I guess I confused it with my satalite radio! LOL Maybe I should invent one though! Im so dumb!
nickinpete
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by chihuahualover View Post
Thanks, like I said, i had no idea what in the world it done or was. Where I live though, I dont see anybody having the thing to scan. We dont even have a dog pound or veterinarian unless we drive an hour and half away. I was real surprised at the cost! 10 dollars for activation, and 14 dollars for the chip!
I guess I confused it with my satalite radio! LOL Maybe I should invent one though! Im so dumb!
Even though you think there might not be a scanner locally it might still be worth having it done so that if she goes missing and you have to prove you are the owner the microchip would help you do this. I am sure that your Vet will tell you where there are scanners locally
chihuahualover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2007, 09:25 AM
nickinpete, I never thought of that. if someone steals here I'll have proof shes mine. Yeah, I need to have it done. It'd put my mind at ease. thanks everyone.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 09:58 AM
definately get it done. one of my dogs Ziggie was nearly stolen out of the back of our van and him and trio were totally traumatised - god forbid if they'd got him at least i could of proved he was mine, mind you my adoptive dad has stated (and he doesnt just say things) that he would of tracked them down and removed their hands so they couldn't really argue!
chihuahualover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2007, 10:12 AM
I sure dont blame your dad kicks! I couldn't imagine that! All the homeless animals, and still, people get theres stole?!
I believe Id be like you dad, and try to hunt them down. I wouldnt sleep til I found her. Where I live though, It wouldnt be hard, small town, people talk!