Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alice Childress
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2014, 05:59 PM

Livestock Gaurdian Dogs

If memory serves there are a few of you who own LGDs. I know each specific breed under the lgd banner differs somewhat, but I'd be interested to know how you find living with yours and how their gaurdian traits make life challenging/unique?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 01:07 AM
Would this be something covered in the new BREEDIA site arm of Dogsey now?

Sorry can't help. Just wondered as it is breed specific.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 02:57 AM
LGD's differ in the sense that they are independent thinkers a lot of the time and catch on to things in ways that make you believe they can understand your every word. Not in the sense of obedience, but more so in having the wheels turning in their brains and calculating everything.

Timber is very cunning making it hard at times to get him to do or eat his dinner, meaning organs, he hates the texture of raw organs. I'm not making this up or exaggerating, but he used to give me a really hard time with eating them so I cut them up into bite sized pieces hoping he'd simply swallow them. He would take it pretend to eat it and duck his head a little lower and spit it out from the corner of his mouth. Then look at me to give him the good stuff. He is exceptionally observant and extremely loyal. He is a dog you do not want to mess with. He is never an instigator and prefers to walk away, but will not back down if strongly challenged by another dog. He has never ever shown any signs of aggression with people, but can imagine he would be just as relentless if he felt deemed to protect to that extent. It's more of a feeling I get with him as our bond is very deep from the moment we set eyes on one another. I would trust my life to him.

It's so hard to explain their differences without seeing it with your own eyes.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-03-2014, 07:23 AM
I know Bernese aren't considered LGD but they are independent thinkers can be difficult to get in some anyway neither Ollie nor Dillon liked or like the texture of liver etc., like Timber says and would find cunning ways to not eat it.
When you think the Bernese not so much now but were left up in the mountains to watch the flocks and to alert the farmer to strangers and keep them at bay till the ok was given or not so I see them as a kind of guardian breed the difference being they were not bred to see off predators but some do have the instinct to chase off other animals.
The difference being Bernese do need to work along side their master too and need human company even though with some it is on their terms not ours which true LGD don't need as much as their job is solely to protect the flocks they are looking after. That is my understanding of the true LGD so I could understand they could be quite challenging in many ways and very different.
Alice Childress
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Would this be something covered in the new BREEDIA site arm of Dogsey now?

Sorry can't help. Just wondered as it is breed specific.
Sorry if this is in the wrong place I don't come on here that often, so am not familiar with the changes. I shall have a look on the Breedia site also.

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I know Bernese aren't considered LGD but they are independent thinkers can be difficult to get in some anyway neither Ollie nor Dillon liked or like the texture of liver etc., like Timber says and would find cunning ways to not eat it.
When you think the Bernese not so much now but were left up in the mountains to watch the flocks and to alert the farmer to strangers and keep them at bay till the ok was given or not so I see them as a kind of guardian breed the difference being they were not bred to see off predators but some do have the instinct to chase off other animals.
The difference being Bernese do need to work along side their master too and need human company even though with some it is on their terms not ours which true LGD don't need as much as their job is solely to protect the flocks they are looking after. That is my understanding of the true LGD so I could understand they could be quite challenging in many ways and very different.
From what I've read/spoken to people about, they do in some ways seem similar to the Bernese. The independence, their sensitivity, their tendency towards aloofness to strangers, their stubborn streak!

I've been looking at other breeds again Lynn

Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
LGD's differ in the sense that they are independent thinkers a lot of the time and catch on to things in ways that make you believe they can understand your every word. Not in the sense of obedience, but more so in having the wheels turning in their brains and calculating everything.

Timber is very cunning making it hard at times to get him to do or eat his dinner, meaning organs, he hates the texture of raw organs. I'm not making this up or exaggerating, but he used to give me a really hard time with eating them so I cut them up into bite sized pieces hoping he'd simply swallow them. He would take it pretend to eat it and duck his head a little lower and spit it out from the corner of his mouth. Then look at me to give him the good stuff. He is exceptionally observant and extremely loyal. He is a dog you do not want to mess with. He is never an instigator and prefers to walk away, but will not back down if strongly challenged by another dog. He has never ever shown any signs of aggression with people, but can imagine he would be just as relentless if he felt deemed to protect to that extent. It's more of a feeling I get with him as our bond is very deep from the moment we set eyes on one another. I would trust my life to him.

It's so hard to explain their differences without seeing it with your own eyes.
Thank you That's a very helpful response. What breed is Timber? How is he with visitors into your home?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-03-2014, 10:25 AM
If you are thinking of another addition and not another Bernese best to do lots of research into breeds that you think you might consider same as you did with getting Maggie.
How is she by the way ?

Breedia is a new forum covering lots of different breeds, photos, information its a new site that's why you won't of seen it, it has gone live in the time you have been off the forum.
We are hoping to get to the garden party at Roade this year.

Good luck with all the research I look forward to possible pics of a possible new addition.
Alice Childress
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
If you are thinking of another addition and not another Bernese best to do lots of research into breeds that you think you might consider same as you did with getting Maggie.
How is she by the way ?

Breedia is a new forum covering lots of different breeds, photos, information its a new site that's why you won't of seen it, it has gone live in the time you have been off the forum.
We are hoping to get to the garden party at Roade this year.

Good luck with all the research I look forward to possible pics of a possible new addition.
You know me Lynn, research is my middle name. Hence, the recent few posts of breeds. I like to get a general feel on forums and online resources first so that if a breed is obviously not right I can rule them out quickly, before moving on to more deeper research including speaking to people heavily involved in the specific breed and attending breed events etc. I've got time to decide still as it won't be until 2015 at the earliest (And another Bernese is certainly not off the table - very tempting in fact).

Maggie is wonderful. Well, she was wonderful for a few months during and after her first season, (so calm and well behaved), then a few weeks ago she seemed to wake up and remember that she's a teenager So we are having a few temper tantrums again, but still, on the whole, she's very good and I am very lucky. We are going to ringcraft for the first time tonight since she was less than 6 months (she had her first birthday in feb), so I am nervous she is going to choose that moment to act up and jump about like a mad thing, making a scene

We are hoping to attend the garden party this year also Oh and there is a worldwide Bernese walk taking place on the 12th of April, with lots of little groups meeting all over England. I'm organising the South East walk if you were interested! It's being held at Devils Dyke in Brighton. (Are you a member of the GB club? If so there will be a flyer about it in your next letter from them).
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-03-2014, 12:16 PM
What breeds are you looking at ?

Maggie a year already noooooo.

Such a shame but Brighton is a bit far for us now not sure if you know we moved from Harlow to Norfolk in October last year. Roade will be nearer for us this year and we are hoping to join the world wide walk at Brancaster beach. We went there with Ollie once while holidaying this way.
Alice Childress
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Ahh yes, you did mention you were moving, didn't know it was to Norfolk. Glad to read that you'll be at one of them, even if it's not the South east meet

We'll see you at Roade anyway unless something unforeseen happens. I was just looking into staying the night before actually, rather than doing the round trip on the day.

I have a long list of breeds! Realistically I have ruled most of them out though. In terms of LGD's I am looking at Maremma sheepdog. I ruled them out the first time around as everything I read on them made them sound completely inappropriate as a pet. However, since meeting some people in the breed and their dogs it seems as though the American/Australian Maremma's are less domesticated than the English dogs, and according to people in the breed, as long as you are prepared for their quirks and do not expect a 'golden retriever type' dog, they are a lot easier to live with than I first imagined. I am certainly not rushing into any decisions, and would only take on the breed if I were absolutely certain that I could manage one - it's just the 2 I have met (and have been told they were good examples of the breed in terms of temperament) were so calm and gentle.

A Bernese boy is always a real contender as well. Possibly a rescue.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Still trying to get Dillon to retrieve.
Any luck with Maggie ?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >