Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-12-2015, 11:02 PM

Cryonics - who's interested in it?

Cryonics (not Cryogenics as some people refer to it ) is when someone is 'declared' dead (but their cells are actually still alive) is cryonically frozen in the hope that one day technology will be available to repair and reanimate the person.

I think it's amazing but it's not cheap, whole body preservation is about $200,000

More info here: http://www.alcor.org

The Chief Executive of Alcor, Max More, is actually a Bristollian
sags
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2015, 11:44 PM
It's amazing what they can do these days .... but

I'm not sure it would appeal to me. I have enough trouble grappling with technology now Imagine how things will have changed.
And what about outliving all your loved ones and re-entering a world full of strangers.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-12-2015, 11:48 PM
Great questions... I think:

a) Technology will have advanced but so too will our cognitive ability (it's just a matter of time before we unlock the true potential of genetics)

b) Take them with you

I'm sure you'd make new friends Sags, also, Alcor have a reintroduction plan - where they help you settle back in to 'life'
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2015, 03:06 PM
I think it would be fantastic and that's not really so much to pay when you think about it. I would like this for our pets too. It's actually cheaper than cloning but it is the real pet (or the real you).
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Bulldogs4Life View Post
I think it would be fantastic and that's not really so much to pay when you think about it. I would like this for our pets too. It's actually cheaper than cloning but it is the real pet (or the real you).
Completely agree! Cloning just creates a replica - it is not you.

Lots of people get their pets cryopreserved too
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-12-2015, 04:21 PM
No the planet is overcrowded as it is, you've had your time ,be a good boy and make some room x
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
No the planet is overcrowded as it is, you've had your time ,be a good boy and make some room x
The Universe is big enough for everyone

Not only that, challenges like that will be overcome. Once we master things like genetics or things at a molecular level, who's to say we won't be able to miniaturise ourselves and/or things in the world? Imagine humans the size of ants. One single crop (or cow!) could feed a whole country

If we can think it, it will almost certainly one day be possible.
sags
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2015, 04:33 PM
I can see one advantage

Think of all the great minds ... the inventors, the philosophers, the poets, scientists ... with an extended longer time on planet Earth what heights could they achieve?

Bin that idea ... I've just thought of all the others we wouldn't want.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

04-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Couldn't think of anything worse
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

04-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
The Universe is big enough for everyone

Not only that, challenges like that will be overcome. Once we master things like genetics or things at a molecular level, who's to say we won't be able to miniaturise ourselves and/or things in the world? Imagine humans the size of ants. One single crop (or cow!) could feed a whole country

If we can think it, it will almost certainly one day be possible.
Really, yet we are polluting ourselves out of existence. Master things like genetics, that'd be nice they could find a cure to end the unnecessary suffering of those with genetic illnesses, I think they should take priority over people thinking they are so important they should live forever. I wouldn't want to be the size of an ant, I'm 5'3" that's small enough thanks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >