Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Weight off my mind - took my dogs to

the home of the pet boarder that we are using next month when we go on holiday.

She has met both dogs before (friend of 6 years) and she helps train at our dog training and we have been on a walk with her dogs in neutral territory before.

But today we went to her house and the dogs had free run of the garden and house and we just let them do their thing and meet with her own dogs on their territory.

It seemed to go really well, both of mine sat to take treats right next to her choc lab and springer with no problems and they felt comfortable to move away from us to explore, had a good run around the garden and a mooch in the house picking up toys etc to chew and then slumped to relax happily while we chatted.

I was so worried that for one reason or another it might not feel right etc or she might think it wouldnt work, but now i am really much more settled about leaving them.
Still will cry prob tho, but it has to be done!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm sure it'll be fine but I know how you feel, Tilly is going boarding next week for the first time & she's nearly 3.
Everything is the perfect setting for her & I'm sure she will be fine, - I however will be a quivering wreck - in fact I'm not even taking her, hub is, I think this is best as I don't want Tilly to pick up on my feelings as she's good at that! So I shall say my goodbyes on Tuesday morning & when I get home from work she will be gone............ and I'll be blubbering no doubt!!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I think it will be me that takes them as hubby can load up the other car for the holiday, but I am going to take most stuff over in advance so that on the day i dont have a lot of lingering needed.

In my heart i know it will be fine, we have no choice for this holiday and it may well be the one and only longer holiday we have where the dogs wont be included to come with us, this was booked way before we got one let alone two dogs, and we have our kids to think of too, so we have to do it!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Its worth it all for the peace of mind when you are away..
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 05:19 AM
they'll be fine, we have 2 terriers here with us at the moment while their mum and dad get married that have never been left, and they've settled just fine, we have never boarded a dog that hasn't most of the youngsters just want to play
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Sounds like everything is going to be just fine honey.

Try and relax and enjoy your holiday - your dogs are going to have a fab holiday too!

Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 07:56 AM
To be honest the place they are going to is lovely, a real cottage home with a lovely garden 10+ times the size of ours and a real interesting place to explore, so i did say they would love games in the garden as this to them is even more interesting than being on the park at the back of our house!

They seemed to really relax and she isnt a complete stranger to them and i would trust her with my children as a childminder and her way of thinking with dogs is similar, as she is helping and training with the trainers we had decided to use, so we know from our choice of that, that we share the same ideas etc. I know that she has years of experience with dogs of her own and has boarded over 80 dogs in the 3 just over years she has been doing it. She has a springer and choc lab of her own and has a bit of a soft spot for springers (and rolos top knot is so cute how could anyone resist!!)

It will be harder than letting the kids go i think, just because i have had a little practice with the kids now, whereas two adolescent dogs is another matter. But it has to be done so will have to get on with it and hope the holiday is so amazing to be worth it! (it certainly cost enough so blooming should be!!! We are using an inheritance from my mother in law who loved her holidays to celebrate our silver wedding something by a miracle we have managed to achieve, my parents split up before theirs and predicted the same for us as we were very young when we got married!!)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Have a FABULOUS time!

The dogs will!
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Is she licenced to board? if not you may have your dog removed by the council and she could be prosecuted. has she insurance on your dogs ? be very aware of the dangers see my other postings on the subject

Tumbleweed
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
To be honest the place they are going to is lovely, a real cottage home with a lovely garden 10+ times the size of ours and a real interesting place to explore, so i did say they would love games in the garden as this to them is even more interesting than being on the park at the back of our house!

They seemed to really relax and she isnt a complete stranger to them and i would trust her with my children as a childminder and her way of thinking with dogs is similar, as she is helping and training with the trainers we had decided to use, so we know from our choice of that, that we share the same ideas etc. I know that she has years of experience with dogs of her own and has boarded over 80 dogs in the 3 just over years she has been doing it. She has a springer and choc lab of her own and has a bit of a soft spot for springers (and rolos top knot is so cute how could anyone resist!!)

It will be harder than letting the kids go i think, just because i have had a little practice with the kids now, whereas two adolescent dogs is another matter. But it has to be done so will have to get on with it and hope the holiday is so amazing to be worth it! (it certainly cost enough so blooming should be!!! We are using an inheritance from my mother in law who loved her holidays to celebrate our silver wedding something by a miracle we have managed to achieve, my parents split up before theirs and predicted the same for us as we were very young when we got married!!)

Hope you have a great time
I've never had a problem palming my kids off with anyone who'd have em I'm much more concerned for my Tilly, I think I'm going to get separation anxiety!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >