View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 09:37 AM
I have both, leather we use for best but the girls love the fabric sofa. I would go with a leather for all the reasons stated above
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2008, 10:01 AM
I've had leather for over 30 years and never had a problem with any of them cracking, in fact the first ones were 20years old when we finally replaced them and they still looked like new. The current ones we bought from Dfs about 18 months ago and they were probably about the most expensive they had but I tend to not change too often and go for the quality option and we are delighted with them, the service was brilliant and the delivery guys were superb. In fact we recently bought a new one from DFS to go in the conservatory and it was not quite the same story they had delivery issues, they quoted 11 weeks which was quite long for them and it in fact took 16 weeks due to the manufacturer not supplying on time but still we are happy with both the quality and the delivery guys, I would use them again.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Leather any day!

Wipe-clean from mud, dirt, split food etc.

We use leather wipes on ours, but it was lovely soft ,supple leather to begin with (was from DFS about 4 years ago)
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Looks like it will be leather then, with all the comments about easy to keep clean. Now another question. Which is the best leather to go for? My mind is boggled with all the analine, semi-aniline, hard, soft, etc, etc. Why don't they just keep it simple with stars to compare quality with?
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 11:58 AM
We had leather for years - yes they're easy to clean but I will say never again! They are cold to sit on in the winter and then come the Summer you ended up drenched and sliding all over the place! Just my opinion for what it's worth!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Leather all the time, if its a good quality one. We had a fabric that storm ruined, chewed, tore, dirty and was a nightmare to clean.

We then go a leather one that was a good quality It did not get ripped and the dirt was easily cleaned and even though Storm had a go he could not do much damage, the odd scratch. That broke when I go push over by Storm and Star and borke the spring. One of my sisters offered us hers as she was getting a new one and this was less than a year old, we said yes because of the spring, it was not a good quality one and with three older dogs who dont jump and fight on the sofa like they did as pups it was fine, however after Storm died and madam came she bounced all over it and with it being a lesser quality it tore easily. She is calming down now and not using them to fight on now so will be looking for a new one later in the year.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Looks like it will be leather then, with all the comments about easy to keep clean. Now another question. Which is the best leather to go for? My mind is boggled with all the analine, semi-aniline, hard, soft, etc, etc. Why don't they just keep it simple with stars to compare quality with?
I would say talk to the guys in the shop, they will usually tell you that some of the superfine leathers do not wear so well with dogs and kids. Use your hands you want something that feels soft and pliable and thick.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I would say talk to the guys in the shop, they will usually tell you that some of the superfine leathers do not wear so well with dogs and kids. Use your hands you want something that feels soft and pliable and thick.
Feeling with my hands, that I can do. Thanks for that now I know what to feel for.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by shaza View Post
We had leather for years - yes they're easy to clean but I will say never again! They are cold to sit on in the winter and then come the Summer you ended up drenched and sliding all over the place! Just my opinion for what it's worth!
That's two of us then
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Love my black leather sofa.

It's been a godsend, so easy to clean which in my house is a must! I've had red wine on it, muddy paw prints the works and it just wipes off

It's starting to look a bit tatty now I think so are wanting a new one. Sid is so reluctant, he loves it as he's only just got his side moulded to his body lol

Fancy one of those corner group dark brown ones next:smt002
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >