Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-12-2008, 01:39 AM

Quick question about children handling dogs

I'll let Hannah (aged eight) hold Skye's lead and only on the way home after he's had a good run. Although much smaller, Fingal is a steam train so I tend to keep him to myself and Breagh is just a bit too bouncy.

I'm not talking about children out walking dogs by themselves as that's a different topic all together.

I suspect it depends on whether it's a woodland walk or a busy street but I was just wondering.......... who has children that hold a lead.......what age they are and what breeds do they handle ?
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2008, 02:23 AM
My sister is 7, and she holds Koda as he is a plodder ....although not near roads, even though i trust him, you never know what could happen, I allow her to hold him off roads etc...
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2008, 04:37 AM
I have a double handled lead for Ben, so my grandchildren of any age will feel they're walking him. The second handle can be adjusted to sit anywhere on the lead...

This lead is also handy for better control of the dog in busy places.
Mika's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Hi
I let my daughter, aged 11, walk Mika my gsd with me, but again only after she's had a bit of a walk and calmed down. I've had her walking her since she was old enough to go out ( the dog that is lol).
She'll also hold her lead whilst I'm pooper scooping.
I used to let her have a run with her but mikas got too strong now and just tend to pull my daughter across the field.

Natz
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-12-2008, 08:58 AM
I used to let my niece hold storm lead in quiet areas of the park/woods she was about 8/9, he loved it and was better for her than me. She has also walked Star and Jake.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Jess age 9 can manage Connor very well - he has a Canny collar - but she trains him for junior handling and agility so he does listen to her.

I also would allow her or Emily to hold Max (again with a headcollar - although he prob. be ok without one for them).

Charlie is also very good but he can be silly if another dog is around (wanting to say hello) so only if I am very close by!

Angus too strong for them so he is a definite no no for them to hold - they understand the reasons and the story about the young boy who got run over walking his dog - was told to them recently as Jess was 'begging' to be allowed to take Connor out on her own.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 10:03 AM
reading this reminded me of the wee girl over the road, shes only 2/3, they had a very small dog at the time, as I was standing talking to her mum at there garden she asked if she could take kaos's lead, Now kaos doesnt pull or anything like that but hes a big dog next to a wee kid, Her mum said, its fine I dont mind if you dont sort of thing, So I said she could have him so long as she stayed to the inside of the hedge in her garden,

Off she toddles along the hedge line, kaos doing sniff pee sniff pee,
she got to the tree and desided she was going to turn and run back to us, well she spun round and took off, reached the end of the lead, But kaos stood still, she landed on her back in the damp grass, her wee wellie boots up in the air, bless, I dont think kaos even felt the tug..
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Depends entirely on the dog the child and the situation. My friend's youngest came to shows and on walks with me and the Boxers from about 7. He was allowed to take Kapra by himself but Kapra was a very well balanced dog in 12 years he never had any aggro with other dogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 10:39 AM
My stepson is allowed to hold Flame's lead away from roads. He is nearly 6. Flame is a very sedate walker on lead though, and doesn't pull. Even so, I wouldn't allow any child to hold any of the dogs near a road.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 10:57 AM
We let the Foster kids hold the lead when we're with them. Depending on age and size, is what determines which dog though.

I have no problem with it as long as they abide by lead rules...as i tell them.

So for instance if we have a child that couldn't do heel walking (and is likely to not listen), then they get Reah....as Reah walks normally by heel.

However if the child is very good they get Skye as she is the next calmest.

Not often that anyone gets Bruce as he's strong and needs a firm voice when he is on lead.

Kids we have are between 9 and 18
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >