Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 05:28 PM

How far would/did you go for a pup/dog?

Not sure if its been asked before, but thought I would ask anyway I was quite fortunate with mine, the breeder lived about a 25min walk away, he has since moved... I am looking towards Colchester way now for a couple of breeders I am interested in, if I do get the dogs I am looking into.This is a little way away for me, considering I don't drive
So how far would you travel? Would you change breed if you couldn't get the one you wanted close by?
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2008, 05:30 PM
I travelled to Bristol and back in one day for my Leoti and she was well worth it
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 05:31 PM
I drove to Dorset and back, solo, to see Isla at 5 weeks. And then did the whole trip again to pick her up, but thankfully had my best mate in tow that time! I think it was probably about 1400 miles in total though!

I have a family on the waiting list for a pup that live in Surrey!

It's just mad, mad, mad!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I dont know in miles but Storm wasnt far, rochdale. Star was blackburn and Skye was west yorkshire, none a major distance but I think we were lucky(apart from peg leg storm).

Though with Star and Skye wasnt major distance but it was like going back to the 1800s.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 05:33 PM
When looking for my first NI i did find a few breeders near me but i still lived at home and it wasn't practical to get one then. I found a pup that kev liked and we did a 700 mile round trip to get Shila in one day needless to say we were all shattered by the time we got home.
We didn't mind travelling as kev got the pup he wanted x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Crikey....... let me think.....

Bumble and Roxy - I drove to Maplethorpe in Lincs
Lennon and Mya came from Essex - only about 90 minutes away
I would happily travel the length of the country for the right dog
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Our breeder was 2 hours away. WE had another in mind(wel a couple actually) one of whom was 5 hrs away no matter what mode of transport we used. With a young child in tow and dogs at home that stopped us staying over, it was too far, something the breeder understood and put us in touch with the breeder we ended up with. We had actually researched that breeder...but had no idea she was planning a litter...she had kept it hush hush in case she tempted fate! (Long story). Anyhoo....we can't travel far as son gets car sick so it has to be manageable in a day! That is allowing for my cpacity to chat for hours about dogs as well you see.....
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Nearest one for me was West Yorkshire, not to far, also travelled to Cumbria, Preston, St Helens and Germany.
Pam
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Owen Freyja Tegan Bandit and William all came to us from Northern Ireland although we didn't go to puck them up Tegan flew from Belfast to Manchesterand the others their breeder bought them over when they were going to a show
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Well for Cali it was a 600 mile round trip and for Belle it was 1000 mile round trip twice, once to pick her then again to bring her home though was worth it. I have to say that distance doesn't really come into it for me provided it is the right breeder and dog.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »