View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 07:59 AM
I don't know whether Greyhounds have to be muzzled here, very few do and they are mainly the ones being unloaded outside the dog track, certainly the show ones never are, there is a Greyhound breeder here and his are never muzzled. However, laws are largely ignored here!
There are virtually no buses or trains out here so I don't know about that! As most dogs aren't even allowed in their owner's houses (not law, just how people view dogs here - as farmyard animals) I can't see any public transport allowing them on!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Think here bus rules are made by the company. Know some buses you don't have to pay for the dog while other you do. I'm glad Biminghan Corporation have changed their rules, now you pay & can sit anywhere but it used to be free but dogs & smokers had to be upstairs. Stopped taking mine about 20 years ago when it took the driver, two passengers & myself to get my GSD back down the stairs thiugh she'd gone up happily enough.
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2007, 02:43 AM
We are so restricted here. No dogs allowed within 200 metres of a child's playing area - not allowed within heaven only knows what distance from an outdoor area serving human food, even though it may be on a footpath!
A great many of the most accessible beaches, are no dogs allowed areas. We have to climb up and down sand dunes to get to a "dog, leash free area".
It does tend to make it just that little bit more difficult to exercise your dog. Of course, we do have a 5 acre leash free dog "park" - with a watercourse running through the middle of it - not fenced of course, and in an area that floods every time it rains heavily.
Most of us just walk our dogs around the streets each day - we can't really hope for better.
"DOGS HAVE NASTY GERMS DON'T YOU KNOW?"
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 04:23 AM
Certantly makes me appriciate what we've got here more.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Gosh that's awful ozmutt...

But.. who says I can take my dog on the bus? You should tell Takara that - I stopped taking her after she made a huge fuss and had to sit on my knee crying the whole way
People just don't expect to see a fully grown dalmatian on someone's knee.

We got Eddy when his owner was moving to Australia, he was 11 1/2 and apart from the journey there, she said he wouldn't be able to do the things he did here (and had done for 11 years) if he went over there - now I understand a little better
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 10:23 AM
That such a shame Ozzmutt....there's plenty people out there with nasty dirty germs, far worse than most dogs would have I can never understand this not having dogs around eating places, if they are trained they will just sit or lie on the floor, they are hardly going to go round and start jumping on tables or somehow mysteriously let their "germs" start floating around the room.

Toby has even been with us on a boat from Plockton in Scotland on a seal watching trip. I did not realise how fortunate we are with where we can take our dogs over here. Perhaps people are more laid back than I thought, theres plenty pubs (more so in country places) which let you take your dog too.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 02:21 PM
It always gets to me how you can go to a restaurant and there will be untrained kids running around, people smoking and Lord knows what else but dogs are a big no no..

Never mind the alcoholics or those that just don't wash that frequent the supermarkets... my dogs don't run about wild, they are trained to 'go' outdoors (surely more hygenic than babies in nappies?!), they are groomed regularly and have clean coats.

And they're far less dangerous than many people!!
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Ah well, just thought I'd let you know.

Yes, Aussies are laid back about people, but not dogs.

I really do think that we have the most restrictive laws.

Dogs on a leash - OK - not on a leash in a public place - fine
$A 125.
Too close to the children's playing place -
fine
$A200.

Not only that, the local councils police it.

Greyhounds here have to be muzzled - no matter if they are retired - retrained or what. And I know that they are gentle - couch potatoes, whenever they can be.

It's such a shame.
bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2007, 08:17 AM
The worst germ carriers are children, they carry all sorts of bugs, from head lice to stomach bugs, colds and flu's etc......ban them!!!
Maybe some enterprising person should start up a dog friendly taxi/bus service.

Originally Posted by ozmutt View Post
Ah well, just thought I'd let you know.

Yes, Aussies are laid back about people, but not dogs.

I really do think that we have the most restrictive laws.

Dogs on a leash - OK - not on a leash in a public place - fine
$A 125.
Too close to the children's playing place -
fine
$A200.

Not only that, the local councils police it.

Greyhounds here have to be muzzled - no matter if they are retired - retrained or what. And I know that they are gentle - couch potatoes, whenever they can be.

It's such a shame.
bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2007, 08:27 AM

This is some of our dogs on a bus, after our local bus company asked us to take the dogs down for a promotion to 'encourage' dog owners to take their dogs on the buses free.
You should send it to the Ausie government and start a campaign...
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >