Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2007, 04:03 AM

How lucky you are

Quite honestly, you don't really know how lucky you are.

From what I have read, you can take your dog on a bus, train or taxi.

Here in Australia, unless you have an accredited "seeing eye" dog,

or even,

more rarely, an "hearing ear" dog,

you are faced with the problem of getting your dog from one place to the other.

We have to "hire" - a dog containment transport. And it costs an absolute fortune.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Suppose we do take things for granted some times eh ?
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Hi ozmutt,wow i had'nt realised how restricted you are ,or as you say how lucky we are good old blighty
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for showing us to count our blessings. I'd no idea how restricted you were.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Most taxis in my area won't let dogs in now, they used to but something about new insurance policies.

I had no idea you were so restricted in the transportation of animals.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Here in Northern Ireland dogs can't go on buses unless they are an assistance dog. Such a pity, cos I would get to take the kids and dogs on some lovely walks over the weekends if we had that option. Plus to any racing or fun shows that go on around here.

With the taxi's I'm lucky cos there are two guys in my local taxi firm that are willing to take dogs. It depends on the driver.

On Trains dogs must be in an appropriate container, something like a crate for example. Do you need these to travel on English trains or just a lead?
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Wow, I just assumed every country was the same allowing dogs onto public transport, yes we are lucky!

Is it the same for public places then in Australia, are dogs restricted to certain areas only?
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
On Trains dogs must be in an appropriate container, something like a crate for example. Do you need these to travel on English trains or just a lead?

No dog's don't have to be contained on a train here - just a lead is fine

They are also allowed on buses on a lead and, in my area, have no walking restrictions apart from school playing fields and certain parts of the beach between May and September. And of course only assistance dogs are allowed in most public buildings - restaurants, libraries, shops etc.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by lizziel View Post
No dog's don't have to be contained on a train here - just a lead is fine

They are also allowed on buses on a lead and, in my area, have no walking restrictions apart from school playing fields and certain parts of the beach between May and September. And of course only assistance dogs are allowed in most public buildings - restaurants, libraries, shops etc.
You lucky things! Buses and trains with only a lead!!!

Interestingly Australia and Northern Ireland (or is it all of Ireland ) are the only two places in the world that greyhounds and greyhound x's MUST be muzzled in public by law. Not that many people here actually do it though.
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Never realised how lucky we are!!!!! thankfully we can also take our dogs onto certain decks IN the ferry. i would hate to have to leave them in the car. the big car ferry from southampton though you have to stay on the top deck outside!!!! ok in the summer but not so good in winter. the Pompy ferry you can sit indoors with the dog next to you on the seat!!! only if it's not busy otherwise they have to sit on the floor.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >